Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

WWU vs. Crest CA9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by khigg, Oct 19, 2004.

1. khigg

khigg

Oct 18, 2004
    Thanks for the feed back earlier. Am currently pushing a Bergie 322 w/ the CA9; anyone have experience with both the ca9 vs. a WWU??

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting question. I am going to tag along for the ride, if you don't mind. I have a WWU, and I am considering picking up a CA9 for my rack rig.

Tom.

3. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Me too. :eek:

4. inazone

inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Colorado
    ghost voice on:
    oooooohh(yes, yes you do)aaaaaaahh :bag:

5. Nightbass

Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You really can't compare a 7 lb. power-transformerless digital amp with a 40 lb. conventional big-iron high-current Class AB power amp. That's like comparing a BMW Mini-Cooper with an Aston-Martin V12 Vanquish. The Mini is small and fast, but the big Aston will absolutely rearrange your DNA when you stomp on the pedal.

Having tried a WW Ultra lately (thanks Tom!), it is my opinion that while it is impressive for its size, it does not lend itself to the visceral impact of a conventional power amp. The WWU may be perfectly suitable for your application, but it simply cannot put out as much sustained current as a CA-9. If you're driving your Berg 322 around town at 40 MPH, either amp would be pleasing. But when you take your Berg 322 out onto the Autobahn, the CA-9 is going to let you cruise at 100 and have lots of power left over to pass the drummers and guitarists hogging the fast lane.

I thought the WWU was a very nice match for my Bergie 310, though. Great sound and ample power for modest volumes.

6. I concur with Mr. Nightbass 101%
    I currently own both and am very satisfied with both for what they are designed and capable of doing. The WWU is exactly what I purchased it for, extremley protable, great eq, plenty of power for most gigs, and really the best put together gear I own period. But the CA9, in my case with a Dem201s; is without a doubt capable of "rearranging DNA", (good one Night bass LOL) but heavy. In fact I just was fooling around last night with my Mini Bergs powered by the CA9 rig ... talk about 'smoke on the water' :bassist:

7. Aram

Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I am NOT subscribing to this thread. Oh look I just did...