WWU vs. Crest CA9

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by khigg, Oct 19, 2004.

1. khigg

Oct 18, 2004
    Thanks for the feed back earlier. Am currently pushing a Bergie 322 w/ the CA9; anyone have experience with both the ca9 vs. a WWU??
  2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Interesting question. I am going to tag along for the ride, if you don't mind. I have a WWU, and I am considering picking up a CA9 for my rack rig.

3. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Me too. :eek:
  4. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    ghost voice on:
    oooooohh(yes, yes you do)aaaaaaahh :bag:
  5. Nightbass

May 1, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    You really can't compare a 7 lb. power-transformerless digital amp with a 40 lb. conventional big-iron high-current Class AB power amp. That's like comparing a BMW Mini-Cooper with an Aston-Martin V12 Vanquish. The Mini is small and fast, but the big Aston will absolutely rearrange your DNA when you stomp on the pedal.

Having tried a WW Ultra lately (thanks Tom!), it is my opinion that while it is impressive for its size, it does not lend itself to the visceral impact of a conventional power amp. The WWU may be perfectly suitable for your application, but it simply cannot put out as much sustained current as a CA-9. If you're driving your Berg 322 around town at 40 MPH, either amp would be pleasing. But when you take your Berg 322 out onto the Autobahn, the CA-9 is going to let you cruise at 100 and have lots of power left over to pass the drummers and guitarists hogging the fast lane.

I thought the WWU was a very nice match for my Bergie 310, though. Great sound and ample power for modest volumes.
  6. I concur with Mr. Nightbass 101%
    I currently own both and am very satisfied with both for what they are designed and capable of doing. The WWU is exactly what I purchased it for, extremley protable, great eq, plenty of power for most gigs, and really the best put together gear I own period. But the CA9, in my case with a Dem201s; is without a doubt capable of "rearranging DNA", (good one Night bass LOL) but heavy. In fact I just was fooling around last night with my Mini Bergs powered by the CA9 rig ... talk about 'smoke on the water' :bassist:
  7. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    I am NOT subscribing to this thread. Oh look I just did...