WWU vs TF550 + AG Tri112L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Reefer, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I have a couple of Accugroove Tri112L's on the way to use with my WWU. Does anyone else use this combination and how do you like it? Also has anyone compared these cabs with using the WWU and ThunderFunk TF550? Thanks for any input!
  2. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I have not, but, Accugroove are the recommended from the manufacturer cabs for the Thunderfunk. There are even "special package deals available," though I don't know what that means in terms of dollars and cents...

I have a TFB420, and it's a great bit of kit. I cannot imagine you'd be unhappy with that setup, it ought to be killer.
  3. I've got both amps and a Accugroove El Whappo.
    I currently prefer the WWU but I'm playing around more with the TF and like it a lot. The WWU natually has a lot more headroom but as many have said the TF is suprisingly got plenty of oomph. As fas as taste I think I'm more used to the WWU since I've had it alot longer. I really haven't taken the TF out on a gig yet but in rehearsals it's really good. Also, both amps sound great with all my cabs...Bergantino, AG, and Epiphani. The WWU is really a match made in heaven with my Berg HT/EX112 combo. Others have had just as good of luck with the TF. It's all great gear.
  4. boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Ain't it the truth? :D In this context, that's certainly correct. I have also been very content with the WWU. Haven't had the pleasure of experiencing the TF but the buzz around here suggests it's a superb line of gear.
  5. michele

michele Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2004
  6. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks for the link, I've already read that post which is one reason why I'm asking these questions. I know from your review and others that the TF is a great match for the Accugroove, but I already have the WW and would like to hear from people that have had the opportunity to compare them side by side(thanks Big String). I know Dave has a 7 day return policy, but would like to hear others opinions. I bought a TF420 from Dave when he first introduced them and before any of the upgrades he has done and thought the amp was ok, but nothing exciting. But at the time I was using a EA CXL112 and I have a feeling that head just didn't match up well with that cab. So before I consider ordering another TF I'd just like to hear any feedback comparing the 2 heads. Thanks again for any input!
  7. I'm not an Accugroove user, but do have a WW Ultra and a TF550. Through a variety of cabs, I find the TF plenty loud for virtually any gig, and I find the bottom actually has a little more booty than my Ultra (IMO). My WW has not been out of the house since I received my TF, and I have actually ordered a second one to be used as my 'road gig head', since that rig resides in another city.
  8. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    What cabs are you using?
  9. For most gigs, and Epifani410UL (4ohm). For smaller gigs, a Schroeder 1210. Both these cabs... while very different sounding, sound great with the TF. The TF also sounds wonderful with a wide variety of basses.... it's a wonderful match for my MTD (I have the swamp ash / wenge model, so it can get very 'wide' sounding in the mix... the TF tends to focus it a little more and making it sound more punchy), and my more 'Jazz Bass' oriented instruments sound great also.

I would imagine that the Accugroove matchup is great.... Dave Funk definitely knows what he is talking about.
  10. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    Thanks, I've had no experience with the Epi but have with the 1210 and it wasn't for me. Thanks again for the WW/TF comparison.
  11. The 1210 does have a very unique sound. It sounds kind of low-mid heavy if you are just playing it by yourself. However, it does seem to really punch through and open up at volume in a group/gigging context. I also had Jorg put in a more aggressive tweeter, which adds some nice sparkle to the cab (if that's the sound you like).

The EpiUl line is very nice if you like a very clean, upper mid clarity with lots of sparkle in the treble range (that's not everyones sound, but they really do that sound nicely). And, they are extremely lightweight. The 410UL is under 60 pounds!

Let us know how the Accu/Walter/TF sounds to you....

PS I still LOVE the Walter... pound for pound the most amazing amp out there... the Accu with the Walter should work wonderfully. I'll never get rid of my Walter, but am really liking the Thunderfunk warmth and punch at the moment... which I sometimes miss with the Walter.
  12. B String

B String Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hey KJung!!!! I see you have both the Epi 310UL and
    the Schro 1210. Can you give me your opinion on these
    boxes please. I have a 310UL, but I've had impure thoughts
    about getting a 1210.
  13. lo-freq

lo-freq aka UFO

Jan 19, 2003
    The Republic of Texas
    You should talk to tombowlus, but I think he has/had the 420 instead of the 550.
    I know he has compared the WWU with the TF with various cabs (incl. the Tri 210).
  14. Don't want to get the thread off-track... PM'd you :)
  15. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
  16. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a snippet from my blog (and from an older TB thread that is more work for me to find!):