Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

www.the-rox.com - Free Frestival in Bogna Regis

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Howard K, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    I'm promoting this FREE festival because my band, Gaudi, are playing there!

We're on at 5.10pm on Sunday after John Otway and before Zoe Bonham (yes, John "we're not worthy" Bonham's daughter!).

They are expecting around 60,000 over the weekend. There are three stages, two live music and one dance.

This is our first gig. I am SO excited!

That's all folks!
    H.

Sunday Line-up: http://www.the-rox.com/lineup.asp?stage=Yellow Stage&day=sun

2. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Howard I'll probably wont go but

1 good luck (if you believe in it)
    2 bump
    3 I hope I have not jinxed him but try to see Ben Okafor I supported him in 89 and saw him in 90 something.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm playing at a free festival this weekend - the Brunswick Festival in Hove.

But I'm not recommending it to anybody as half our band is away on holiday - so band leader and guitarist is out, as well as our drummer and both percussionists and regular flautist!

It's going to be a nightmare keeping the rhythm section together as we have loads of tight arrangements with stops/starts and changes!

So from one of our best gigs ever, last Friday night, I am anticipating the worst! ;)

4. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    I'm sure you have done it before but stand near the drummer and nurse him through the arrangements. Good luck.

5. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    cheers Chris!

I do believe in it... kinda, well I wouldnt buy it, but I love playing it!
    Whatever, I guess, they're both good guys, we're a 3 piece... big stage, small band :eek: ...we play well together and the songs are geneuinley good which makes it fun.

What DOES 'bump' mean?

Ben Okafor - I will try. Unfortunately we're having to be all sensible and leave promptly afterwards as we all have work the following day, we're only going on the Sunday too. Shame really, I was hoping to soak up some atmosphere at the same time!

Bruce - yours sounds like a tough gig... mine is easy, fortunately for me! ;) Hope you enjoy, none the less!

6. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    bump-means for some reason I want this thread back up the top. My reason is that I want to help advertise your gig.

7. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    aaah, i see. in that case, how do you say errr 'bump' ?!

8. Bruce Lindfield

Actually I'm now hoping we get heavy rain, so I can pull out and watch Brighton play Norwich instead! ;)

9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Howard, if you do see Ben, say hi from me - I've played bass for him a few times, and he's a FANTASTIC singer/songwriter in the acoustic Bob Marley vein... ...on top of that, he's an incredibly nice guy, and I'm glad we've had this thread as I need to phone him anyway!

hope the gig goes well - report back!

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk

10. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Bruce-LOL I will pray for rain

Howard-be careful with the bumps thay are addictive

Steve-I had a long chat with Ben Okafor re King Sunny Ade and the African Beats (that tape was nicked later as well :() Great bloke. He got lumbered with an Indie band support act at Luton College (what were they thinking?). He had a full band but started an acoustic guitar version of no woman no cry, by the time he got to "government offices in Trenchtown" everyone was singing along-awesome.

11. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ..just read the biog on Ben Okafor on the rox web site. he sounds like an interesting guy and a cool musician. I'll try to persuade the guys to stick sbout for his set and, Steve, I'll say hello for you if I see/recognise him?! :)

12. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    LOL - Ben's pretty hard to miss, especially if he's in full African dress...! a very cool guy indeed

steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

13. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Good tip!!! :D

14. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    ..changing the subject entirely (maybe I should post this as a new thread? nope, can't be arsed... :) Bruce, I see your tag line is now 'invariably misunderstood', thus placing the responsibility for comprehension on the recipient of your wisdom... surely the humble response would be 'invariably incomprehensible'... ?? ROTFL :))

15. Bruce Lindfield

Who wants to be humble? I know I'm usually right and have expressed myself as eloquently as possible in these circumstances - it's the readers who are invariably at fault! ;)

Seriously it's my view that, on this side of the pond, we are invariably misunderstood, by those from whom we are separated by a "common language"!! :D

16. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Bruce,
    Do you sense a lack of connection between your self and others?
    Do you often feel left out, or alone?
    Do you believe you are different and that others cannot relate to you?
    Tell us about your childhood?

This has inspired me to change my 'whateveritscalled' to something more interesting.

17. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    True, though I'm far less often misuderstood since I started speaking in a language that those reading what I'm saying would understand, rather than expecting them to always shift their perception to fit my expression... Think of US English a separate language that happens to have a lot of similar words in it... :oops:)

When I first got on line, I was forever pissing people off inadvertantly, but soon learnt how to write american english, or at least a transatlantic hybrid.

On the one hand it's tragic that things get homogenised in that way, to some sort of Wayne's World-ian West Coast slang version of English as seems to permiate the net, but on the other hand, I just like to be understood... :oops:)

cheers

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk
    www.pillowmountainrecords.co.uk

18. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Stay British !!!

valve not tube
    max not dime
    plectrum not pick
    Ashdown not Ampeg

19. Steve Lawson

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    Oh God, it's the 'campaign for real english' - what have I started??????

...though the last one of your suggestions is a good one Chris... :oops:)

Steve
    www.steve-lawson.co.uk

20. Bruce Lindfield

I just can't do it - I've said it before on here - I just speak as I would if I was in the local pub, my local Jazz club or whatever.

I have had friends who "adopt" the local accent - so there was a girl I lived with, who would have a Devon accent in Devon, Scottish in Scotland etc. She just did it naturally and it wasn't an affectation, she just spoke like the people around her!

I'm always... just me! But people have said that my stability is what makes me what I am - so I have been with some pretty "unhinged" girls and they cling on to that - so I can remember comments from parents about how I was a good influence on their daughter! ;)

I tend to think that as a bass player, the quality of stability and not being affected by what is going on around you, but holding steady no matter what is happening, is very desirable! ;)