Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

www.tuningpeg.com???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by stevekim, Jan 9, 2001.

1. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    does anyone know what's up with this site? i've sent three sets of emails to everyone there and have gotten no reply back from them. it's been over a month and i'm still waiting for two sets of strings i ordered from them in november.

does anyone have a phone number i can try calling? i'd appreciate any help you can give me.

thanks,
    steve

2. November?

Sorry, I can't comment, they are a (former) competitor of mine.....

November?

Great googoolimoogooli!

3. stevekim

stevekim

Feb 11, 2000
    los angeles, ca
    yup, november. november 30th to be exact. on that date i ordered two sets of GHS Bass Boomer Short Scale strings for $16.95 each. that confirmation email they sent me was the last i heard from tuningpeg.com. i've emailed feedback@tuningpeg, service@tuningpeg, webmaster@tuningpeg, info@tuningpeg numerous times and i've gotten no response. i found this to be very strange because i always thought they were a reputable place. did they go out of business or something?

steve

4. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I think there are some other threads here about them, and at least one over at the FDP. The consensus seems to be that their customer service is at best intermittent. At worst, well, pretty much like you've experienced. I haven't ordered from thetuningpeg, but I've ordered once from http://www.juststrings.com. Some of their prices are a little high, but my strings came in a few days, AND they have a phone number answered by real people.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Everybody is now obsessed with getting the absolute cheapest price, but if a company is not reliable then it doesn't matter how cheap they appear to be!

I have used http://www.sheetmusicplus.com for all my strings for about 2 years now and they always come within about 10 days (or less) and that's from the US to the UK !! They have a very wide range and their prices seem very reasonable to me - but as I say the most important things for me is that they seem a solid reliable company, with good systems and processes.

6. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I ordered strings from The Tuning Peg back in the middle of November, and I didn't receive them until the first week or so of December. I e-mailed them a couple of times about my order, and eventually got a response that they were having server problems but that all was back to normal and my order would ship soon (which it did). I ordered from them again right before Christmas and my order was shipped very promptly.

Maybe your order just got lost in the shuffle when they had those computer problems -- but that doesn't explain why they don't answer your e-mail... just keep hounding them, I guess. Did they charge your credit card???

7. snapper

snapper

May 16, 2000
    I placed an order with the Tuning Peg in December. After waiting a reasonable amount of time and receiveing no order and no communication from them, I emailed them asking about the status of my order. I received no reply. I wrote again, using one of their other email addresses, asking if they were still in business. Again I received no reply.

A couple of months ago I wrote them with some questions about the MTD basses they had added to their web site. I received a prompt reply to that email (although the answer to one of my questions was "that's available, but I'm not sure of the price" -- not exactly helpful).

(This reminds me of when I was a kid & would go into the local huge music store to buy a set of strings. I would stand at the string counter for ages, patiently waiting, while the sales guy conspicuously ignored me. Then some older guy would come up to ask about an expensive fuzzbox and get helped immediately.)

After finding this thread, I checked out sheetmusicplus. When I looked up the strings I had ordered from the Tuning Peg, I noticed that the availability of those strings was listed as 2-3 weeks. So if I had ordered from them I might have waited just as long, but at least I would have expected to from the outset.

I think the lesson here is that, if you order something from an Internet outlet that doesn't tell you whether or not an item is in stock, you can expect to wait a long time for it (regardless of whether they say it will ship in 5-10 days).

I don't think the Tuning Peg has earned any repeat business from me (assuming I eventually receive my order). But even if I try sheetmusicplus, I have a hard time understanding why I should have to wait a month for a set of strings. I guess I've gotten spoiled by all of the Internet businesses that send orders out the day they're received.

8. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    If anyone is looking for either Thomastik-Infeld or Rotosound Strings let me know. I'm not looking to get into the Online String trade or anything. I just picked up these two lines mostly for my buds on the FDP who have had problems getting particular sets. I considered buying out Herm's stock a while ago but the thought of competing against the big dealers was not a real pleasant thought. Here's a link to my galleries which includes my pricing:

Thomastik-Infeld:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=637760&a=10217830

Rotosound:
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=637760&a=10316154

I canb also get any set of strings either manufacturer makes even if not listed on my gallery pages yet. If they make them I can get them!

As far as commenting about a "competitor's" lack of customer service I'm a bit less gracious that Herm is! Tuningpeg has screwed several of my friends and not given any sort of service whatsoever! I've cleaned up their messes by replacing sets of strings for a few of their customers when they were sent something they didn't order so I have no problem calling a spade a spade.

9. snapper

snapper

May 16, 2000
    I finally received a reply to my emails to the Tuning Peg:

Well, I guess I no longer have to wonder if those strings will ever show up (I placed my order in December).

A week ago, I received an email from sheetmusicplus, saying that they had shipped my order. If it doesn't arrive today I can begin to wonder about this outfit.

I'm heading to the big city today. Maybe I should pick up a case of strings. It sure is hard to get them through the mail.

</snapper>

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I have used them about a dozen times now and they have always been very reliable - maybe it's your postal delivery? See if you can check the postmark date when you get the package. If this matches when Sheetmusicplus say they dispatched the order, then they can hardly be blamed for any delay. When I order from them, I get 2 or 3 options for faster transmission - but that is international shipping (US to UK).