1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

WWYD? (Ibanez EDC700)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Brian VT, Apr 21, 2017.

1. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    I'm a newb and bought this bass and it has "issues".
    The volume+on-off pot is toast, many of the frets are worn down, and the body has an epoxy? patch on the back. I don't see any new necks available online and I'm not sure it would be worth the cost for one or to have new frets installed on the original.
    I also have an SR370 that is in great condition. Should I strip parts off the EDC700 to "upgrade" the SR370?
    Or should I just write off the EDC700 as a lesson learned and hang it up as a reminder?
    What would you do?

2. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

which parts from the "issues" bass are you considering as upgrades for the instrument "in great condition?"

3. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    I dunno.
    Are the SFR pickups much better than the EFX? Same rout hole?
    I think the tuners and bridge might fit but may not be any better?

4. crucislancer

crucislancer Supporting Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Tough to say for sure. It would really depend on how much I spent on it and willing to spend on it in the future. Replacing a pot isn’t too big of a deal, something on the back doesn’t bother me, though I am curious about this epoxy patch. IIRC, the neck on the EDC700 is similar to, maybe even exactly like, the SR series. I had both an EDC700 and an SR800 for years, and the necks seemed to be comparable. Ibanez discontinued the EDC700 quite a few years ago, so direct replacements will be difficult to come by unless you scored another EDC bass. A refret would be a better option, and possibly cheaper. I would love to see a pic of some of the issues.

5. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    The epoxy job isn't the main deal breaker for me. And the pot isn't too big a deal either. But the frets have me tempted to throw the whole thing in the dumpster. I'm under the impression that the neck is unique to this body.
    I took a chance on this bass for $100 so I'm not hurting over it but I don't know if it's worth throwing the $ for a fret job and a new pot. or if I should quit while I'm behind.
    Here's the patch job:
    b2.JPG b1.JPG

6. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The bodies on these basses were made from something called “luthrite” or something like that. A search here can give you more info, but basically a composite material. I’m guessing that’s why there’s a patch like that. Just from what I recall (from 17 years ago) the neck was nearly identical to the one on my SR800, the difference being different finishes on the back of the neck. Personally, if I bought that bass for $100, I would get the fret job. They are good basses that really didn’t get their due. They look way different than other basses and I think that, and the composite body, might have turned some people off. I loved the tone I got out of it.

7. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Yep, it's Luthite. There are probably better alternatives than epoxy to do a patch on these, though color matching would likely be problematic.

The Ergodynes are excellent basses. I guess you'd have to compare the cost of a refret and pot replacement to the cost of picking up another EDC in better shape.

8. crucislancer

Dec 25, 2009
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Yup, that's it. Luthite. I saw a couple EDC 700's on Reverb ranging from $300 to $420 so getting one for $100 with issues might not be that bad. I don't know what fret jobs go for these days, but I can't see it bringing the total price above $400.

9. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    Good advice guys. Thanks.
    I guess I'll stick it in the closet until I can give it a proper restoration rather than throw it in the dumpster or pawn it off off another unsuspecting newb.
    That (restoration) may never happen though so I'm still curious if the components would be better on my SR370 than in the closet.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  10. plug it in & play it
    does it sound better than the SR370?
    maybe it's worth moving the pickups over

11. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    I can't. The volume pot. is toast.
    That's my dilemma. Start throwing time and $ at it or quit while I'm behind.

12. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Wire around it, should only take 10 minutes or so. Seems worth at least a little time and $.

13. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    For $100 for that bass, and if I liked the way it played and if I was familiar with how it sounded, Id fix the pot...as far as the frets, Id have to see it if it just needs dressing or a refret.....the epoxy patch would mean nothing to me: if anything, it adds character

DrummerwStrings likes this.
  14. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    I like that idea.
    Would you know which wires I should "jump" to bypass the volume pot.?
    Schematic link:
    http://www2.ibanez.com/supportResources/wiring/k5.gif

15. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    I think all you need to do is disconnect the center wire from the pot and then solder two wires together to bypass volume:

k5b.gif

Where the red oval is, clip those from the pot and solder those two together, looks like it should do the trick if I'm following the wiring correctly.

Brian VT and Killed_by_Death like this.
  16. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Can you show us the frets?
    They might just need a dressing and not a total refret.

Whenever anyone posts about needed a fretjob i remember a '67 Pbass I played where the frets where pretty much worn down to the fretboard.
    Played like butter.

17. I haven't had any fret issues with my EDC700, but I did have an issue that required some creativity with the input jack, and the tuners gave out. I have had pot issues, but mine is with the low mid. But considering I gigged the mess out of that bass, some wear down was bound to happen. Still have it, just doesn't see a lot of play these days.

As far as the neck goes, you should be fine getting a replacement if you don't want to get a re-fretting done. The only thing I notice different from my EDC and the many other Ibby's I've played is the finish on the back of the neck.

18. aproud1

aproud1 Don't surround yourself with yourself. Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2007
    Cincy, OH
    Fix the pot, have a local shop look at the frets. All is not lost.

19. Nickweissmusic

Nickweissmusic Knows all intervals from one Fred, to Juan octave Commercial User

Jan 26, 2014
    San Diego, CA
    I teach lessons and perform live music in and around San Diego CA. Sometimes I even make money doing it!
    Always liked those basses. That is a comically BRUTAL patch job. WOW. You could just chisel it off and patch over it if you feel like it, obviously doesn't affect the outward appearance. Pots are par for the course. Deoxit spray is your friend.

A beater like that would be a great thing to learn to level and crown frets on if you're so inclined. There are many YouTube tutorials on it, watch several and take the best hints. Stewmac sells the best tools, but look for well rated equivalents on Amazon and they'll get the job done for a lot less.

bholder likes this.
  20. Brian VT

Brian VT

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks for all the input, guys.
    I noticed that some of the lower frets seemed kinda worn flat on top. I haven't played it yet.
    I didn't even know about fret leveling/dressing. I don't think I'd mind attempting that if it actually needs it.
    I should learn how to do set-up too. I could learn on this before messing with my "good" bass.

Nickweissmusic likes this.