Wy no EV speakers?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by junkman510, Jul 18, 2005.

1. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    I was just wondering why no one uses EV speakers? I use two 12" speakers in seperate cabs (EV designed ported cabs) and two 15" in seperate cabs. I mix and match for different gigs. I also use an old ampeg 4x10 non ported with alnico speakers (I love recording with it)
  2. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    E.V. has priced themselves out of the market, along with J.B.L. Dealer cost for one of those is higher than RETAIL for an Eminence, and there's virtually nothing Eminence can't build. I agree that the EVM 12's and 15's are legendary, but you gotta buy them used or they're way too much money.
  3. Also, back in the old days, there weren't any of these 'audiofile' cabs available. The best thing you could do was buy a cab and then replace the speakers with an EV or JBL, which gave you much better sound than the cheapies that came with most cabs back then. I think I put EV's in every cab I owned through the late 70's and most of the 80's. Now, there are so many great cabs with good components, that the 'replacement' speaker market seems to be pretty much dead.
  4. junkman510

May 2, 2005
    Lebanon, PA
    I bought the 15"s in 1972 new in a West cab (Wish I still had that rig). The 12"s were bought on ebay used. I can not see myself spending the money for new ones.
  5. danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I have four cabs. One is an EV B-410, with four 10" EV's in it. One is a 15" custom cab (not Kustom) with an EV SRO 15. One is a matching 12" custom cab with an EV SRO 12. Then there's the Ampeg Portabass with a 12" neodymium speaker, probably made by Eminence, but that's not important right now.
  6. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    EV has discontinued most of their MI speakers and is pretty much doing PA drivers only. They also have dropped some of the recone kits. The EVM-12L is the last of the EVM line still listed on their website last time I checked.

I still use an EVM-15B in one cab, it's probably close to 25 years old now and has been reconed once.
  7. MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Ooooh, now you've got me going!

I am so pissed off that EV has abandoned the musical instrument market. Ok, maybe they have other things on their plate, but IMO there is nothing better sounding that a nice EV driver. Bass or guitar.

The old SROs are legendary -- for good reason. They just sound so great. An amazing combo of warm and clear. And, unlike the dirt-bag drivers of old, they actually held up under serious working conditions.

My bass rig is two EVM 15s in two small Genz Benz bins and I just can't get enough of that great sound.

Oh well, it's probably time to move on and recognize that EV is just not gonna come through for me -- I'd like to see some nice reissue SROs with neodymium magnets. 12-inchers, please.

Maybe some rich person can get EV to make them OEM. Any takers out there?
  8. Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA

Corey how are you doing,, I have picked your brain for info over the phone a few times about bergie and orange stuff..
    Me and a few boyz from the hood are planning a little field trip out to Rockcity in a few weeks to do some shopping.. Should we ask for you? lol

Anyway what would you suggest is a good Eminence replacement or match for a JBL D140? Can you get in any decent 15's at the shop for a good price?
    Thanks bro

You can't get good Altecs anymore either I believe?
  9. jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I run a compact 1x18 cab loaded w/ an EV for my lows and I like it, it sounds "strong." I got a good deal on it used, I'd like to find the same thing in 4 ohms.

When you recone a speaker, can you recone it to a different impedance? Like from 8 to 4?
  10. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    IMO The EVM-15B Proline (400 Watter) is the best speaker on the market, EVER. Nice and warm tone, great power handling, and frankly, I think EV is absurd for not offering these anymore.

Perhaps a few hundred emails will sway them to Reissue them?
  11. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Hey Funkster,
    Love to see you! Can't talk biz here, but give me a call at the shop on Tues. if you like. I'll be out the rest of the week though until Saturday. Getting my rental apt. ready for new tenants. Seems like your signature fits me as well.....jack of all trades, master of none! I'm a good painter though. L.O.L.!
  12. Mike Shevlin

Mike Shevlin

Feb 16, 2005
    Las Vegas
    EV designs influenced modern speakers design for bass speakers. I used EV's in the 80's to stand up to Marshall stacks. I now use the Emminence (did I spell that right??) Kappa Pro 10's and 12's and they are much better for bass. The good old days are now :smug: