1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Wyzard of MF

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by mward69, May 28, 2007.

1. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Found a vid with a bass solo from Wyzard of Mothers finest. I have meet him a few times, my wife is good friends with vocalist Joyce {baby jean} Not a technical solo by any means, just a solid funk 70 style jam, with a little but of an octave pedal action

2. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    here is another, think this was in ATL.

3. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    MF is a slamming band... they play at this joint I get to perform at monthly (Q's in Thomaston). Wyz used to play bass for Stevie Nick IIRC.

4. Oh yeah, I love Wyzard! I first saw them in the late 70's perform at a club/house they lived at on Peachtree, then High School gyms and Grant Field..and so and so on. They are one of the best bands I've ever seen.

This Friday they're playing at the Summer concert series in Duluth and next Saturday at Tavern on The Bridge in Alpharetta (a tiny place). Go see them if you haven't.

My band does "Piece of the Rock" now and have tried "Baby Love" several times but none of our female singers could handle it (I wish I could sing it).

5. bottomzone

bottomzone Gold Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2005
    Another criminally underrated, underappreciated bassist! I have never heard him play anything other than Alembic. Great links!

Keep God First!:hyper:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste!:cool:

6. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Yeah going to see them this weekend in Duluth. The sweet thing like I said, my wife is friends with them....so get to chill back stage with him. Harold, Wyzards brother I think {played drums with KC and the sunshine} has a band togehter called Boggie shoes. Him and I are talking about playing some gigs together soon.

7. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Ankh-Morpork
    that band was unbelievable....:hyper:

8. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Might not be technical by today's standards, but it still rocks my world.;) :bassist: Very visceral.....house quake! Sounds great on my computer stereo too, thanks for posting that!

9. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    What I like about him, is that he grew up with the mix of rock and mo-town. he's just solid. He doesn't do the "flash" as Victor or those guys do, just solid rhythm and funk. I did take notice on something though, watch his fret hand, he's wrapping his thumb over the top of the neck, is he using it to fret a note or does he just have long ass fingers? :D

10. big hands and I think he sometimes uses it to mute the lower strings.

11. jerry

jerry Too old for a hiptrip Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Louis Johnson does the same thing.

12. 73jbass

73jbass Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2004
    Ellenwood,Ga.
    One of the best live shows I ever saw was Mothers Finest in 78 or 79.IMO they were one of the coolest bands ever.They had the right mix,and they got the job done. Hey mward69,we're neighbors! Lots of Georgia folks around here.

13. mward69

mward69

Jan 20, 2007
    Conyers, GA
    Ah GA boy huh, what part?

14. MF is playing pretty actively in GA now. On the 4th, they'll be in Covington for the 4th of July festivities, the in AThens at the Ga Theater on Wed, the 5th. Then next Satruday at Slapshots in woodstock.

15. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I have a Beaver Felton instructional video in which Beaver shows this slap groove that he says was inspired by Wyzard.

16. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021