X and [] in bass tabs

Discussion in 'Tablature and Notation [BG]' started by Timebutt, Jan 10, 2006.

1. I have seen this in some tabs now (especially slap bass tabs) and I was wondering how to play 'X' and [12] correctly? I heard that [12] means tap but what's the difference with plucking then? And is there a difference between X in a slap bass or when playing fingerstyle?
  2. X is a dead note - put your left hand finger on the note/string and then lift it until you are not actually fretting the note, just resting your finger on the string, then play it. It shouldn't sound like a note, just a dull thump. You may need several fingers spread on the string lightly rather than just one to make sure the string does not sound at all (not even harmonics).

I believe the [12] is either a tap or a harmonic, but I'm not sure.

If its a tap then it's a tap at the 12th fret - you don't actually use your left hand at all, you use your right hand finger to hammer onto the 12th fret to make the sound, usually the index finger, but it depends what you are playing next.

If it's a harmonic then it's a 12th fret harmonic - put your left finger over the 12th fret like for the dead note, pluck with your right, and then pull the left finger away. In this case however you want the note to ring out and it should sound the same pitch as if you had fretted the 12th fret, but the quality will be different
  3. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    This should be in the Tablature forum. I'll move it there now.
  4. JustSoYouKnow

Aug 30, 2002
    if it is an internet tab then i would have though that [12] would be a ghost note?

not completely sure though