Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

X-box vs PS2 or neither.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by odie, Mar 6, 2004.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Not sure if this has been discussed at all recently.

I do most of my gaming via PC(for RTS and First Person shooter) and my GBS. But am I missing out?? Should I pony up the change for a gaming platform?? I have 5 year old daughter who may or may not play. I know the GameCube would be better for children, but from what I have seen the games are not as spectacular.

Opinions? Pros Cons?? What is the best bang for the buck?

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I just got a Playstation 2 for my 25th birthday after not playing video games for a decade. PS2 just seems to have a much larger selection of games I like, and can play old PS games, of which there are tons and are pretty cheap these days.

3. Let's break it down...

Xbox- Small selection of games, mostly 1st-person shooting games (probably not meant for a five year old) but the graphics are outstanding, and the loading times much, much faster than the other two systems. I believe it still has the highest price tag of the major systems, $300, but with its internal hardrive (sp?) you'll never have to worry about a memory card, this thing can hold a TON of data. I give it: A-

GameCube- Right now, deals for and sales for the GameCube are a dime a dozen. You can find great deals for a small cost, but you lose out on a lot of good games. Not much to say, other than Nintendo is planning on releasing a new GC within the next two years, so maybe not a good choice. I give it: C+

PS2- Well, what can't be said about it. Almost every game starts on PS2, and with a huge selection of games, you can't really go wrong. You have to buy your memory card, but it will seem worth it later. The loading times are so-so, but with many good games out for it (Final Fantasy series, a much less bugged version of the GTA games) you can't really go wrong here. I give it: A

If you are looking to play online, Xbox is your best bet, as only people with cable connections can play on Xbox live. Good luck!

4. PS2 every time for me, I dislike the X-Box, the controllers are nasty and the PS2 ones are nice, and.... you can't beat a bit of Final Fantasy on the PS2!

5. MMSterling

MMSterling Guest

Feb 19, 2004
    Leicester, England
    I've got a PS2, great selection of games as the others said! Really can't go wrong, oh and X-Box pads = :meh:

Andy

6. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

I've got all three. I personally like the gamecube the most out of all three but probably play it the least. Ps2 is probably last in terms of how impressed with it I am, but with all the games it features I play it the most. Xbox I have hardly anything for but when the right game comes along, I am generally very impressed. I just got Ninja Gaiden and am blown away (although I wonder about Tecmo's portrayal of women).

7. I like the Xbox. Now they are starting to finally make games that take advantage of the full power of the console..ie Ninja Gaiden. PS2 is cool too, but now Xbox has just as many games as the PS2, except for a couple games. But the same goes for the XboX. And you can't beat the online gaming.

8. i got a gamecube about a month or so ago. i love it. my little sister got one for christmas, and i was hooked. all my friends have ps2's, xboxes or both, and they are both cool, but i dont want to throw down all the money they want for those 2 systems, and i found the only games i really liked for xbox/ps2 were ones you could get for all systems or pc (ie: tony hawk, soul caliber 2 etc). i went with the cube because 1: 140 clams for one new? no sweat, thats something i can handle. 2: the zelda re-release disc they came with for a while. its 4 old zelda games from the nes and 64. i searched the city to get a cube with one, and got what was likely to be the last one in town. oh yeah. but anyways, i went with the cube because it had/has more games i'm intrested in that arent easily gotten, if at all for any other system. the new rogue squadron games kicks butt. its too much fun. and the new mario kart is cool too.

9. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I'd definitely would choose the PS2. Just more games and I like the contollers. I hate the X-box controllers. Plus the PS2 has the game to end all games: Tekken. :ninja:

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Gamecube has the best games, no question about it.

that is, the GC has the most *really* fun games.

Games are meant to be fun, and with the GC, they are fun. The only thing I miss on the GC is Final Fantasy and KOTOR, but those are both role playing games, so if that's not your bag, don't bother.

GC can be had for $99 now, get monkey ball and you're set.

11. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    SNES > NES

14. Gamecube is awesome. I sold my PS2 for it and don't regret it. Yes, it may seem like Gamecube is a kiddy system, but it actually has some of the funnest games and best graphics. I would recommend the Gamecube over both of them anyday.

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    That's all that matters, that the games are fun.

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Does the Game Cube come with any games??? Just one control?

17. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    $99 just gets you the console with 1 controller.

I think for $170 you can get console, 2 controllers, and 3 games

also, there are bound to be special bundle deals at your local game store

18. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    Dreamcast get most of my console playtime and is dirt cheap by now

19. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Don't raise her on video games, man.