X Games

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Aug 9, 2004.

1. I love the x Games. I just am amazed at how huge a televised event it has become.

I remember going to Rhode Island with some friends and watching the events... them days is gone.

2. I was surprised they didn't do it in Rhode Island this year...it being the 10th anniversary and all. How many years did they do it there?
  3. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I saw the big air...amazing. Watching this stuff begs the question: has anyone died or been permanently handicapped at one of these events?
  4. I believe the first 4 or 5 years.

Then the Gravity Games came over this side of the States for a while....I missed out on that.

The whole thing is so corporate backed now that you can't really touch on the low-key local aspect any more....
  5. vbass

May 7, 2004
    Bay Area, CA
    It was great this year. The skateboard big air and the SuperMoto were awesome.. great new events. Congrats to Nate Adams for finally winning Gold too.
  6. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It was cool to see Way into the contest and enjoying himself since he doesn't really enter big contests and is one of the few "purist" skaters left.

brad cook
  7. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Nobody has ever died or been permanently handicapped at the X-Games. But Danny Way has had some really bad injuries like tearing his ACL and he did something like tearing the ligaments that connect your spine and brain stem. When he did that he was paralyzed for over a year. Danny Way is just an amazing athlete, he has won triathalons. I think Danny Way is the best skater ever.
  8. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    Why did pastrana have to eat it saturday night? I wanted to see that double back flip...

Although, I kinda have a 6th sense when it comes to these extreme sports, and I just know when someone is gonna eat it. I knew travis was gonna eat it on that 360... Nate Adams definitely deserved that gold, though... Although he wouldn't have gotten it if Pastrana had stayed on his bike.

What was up with the BMX dirt? Everyone was eating it on that 2nd jump...

Dias pulled the 900... awsome.

Bucky Lasek pulled a heel flip 540...

Awsome awsome awsome...

Oh ya, then the guy who did the superman body variable, that was sick.

I love FMX.
  9. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    I was figuring that Pastrana would have eaten s*** if he had gone for the double and broken his neck or something...
  10. wow! that was massive! crazy crazy crazy skaters.

i dont watch enough skating, dont do enough of it actually as it is!

wow. i went to the glasgow SYS - a blading street "comp" (not really a comp).

i think it was the uni of the glasgow that a guy from Birmingham did this insane soul grind down a 20 foot (ish, likely less) railing - there was like a platform after the first 12 stairs, he gapped that, onto the other side, and did an ally-oop unity down the other side for the remaining 8 stairs. :D

i also read in the paper that Rich Taylor, the uk rollerblading "champ" took a bad crash, breaking both his legs, then smashing his head into a lamppost, a double skull frcature, hes ina coma!
  11. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    Unfortunately he died on Saturday

12. Stephen S

Stephen S Member

Apr 10, 2002
    San Bernardino, CA
    I wanted to see the double back flip to. Dag nabbit.
  13. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    I thought the coverage of skateboard street was terrible. That was the one thing I really wanted to see.
  14. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Well, unfortunately, FMX is the big draw, ratings wise because more of the general public can watch it and be entertained than can watch skating and be entertained.
  15. fatbassjazzer

Feb 27, 2004
    Yeah thats true. I like FMX but most people don't know the technicalities that go into skateboarding. When people see a nollie frontside flip down some stairs they just don't think of it as all that crazy compared to flying on a bike. Oh well though, thats why they make skateboard videos.

16. Did they even show it on tv? I saw like a 15 second highlight on sportscenter....that was it. Which is surprising, cause alot of the big names only competed in that event (Eric Koston, Geoff Rowley).

The SuperMoto was friggin cool.

Bob Burnquist and Ryan Nyquist with no medals this year? Finally some more competition!

Tony Hawk ran a few practice runs on the big air ramp, methinks he'll come out of retirement next year.
  17. Yeah I agree, I'm a big fan of street skateboarding because I consider it to be a lot more interesting.
    Although I wish I had taken advantage of the whole situation and gone but I was busy this whole weekend and was able to catch what I could on t.v. Well I had a chance to see the ramp from the freeway and I was amazed by how big it was. I skated for a couple of yearsa and then I stopped when I turned 16 but even if I had kept on skateboarding I don't think I would've had the balls to drop down from that high. :scowl: :bag:
  18. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    The surfing stuff was boring.....and very lame. Who came up with the four quarters idea, and time outs??

Time outs in surfing??????????????????????

19. Time Outs sound like a fantastic idea, imo. You can't blame a team if there are no waves coming out. That way they can at least try and wait for some bigger waves to come. But I agree, the surfing event was pretty much a snoozer, and the wakeboarding too.

I also saw no coverage of the street luge, did they even do it this year?