Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

X Wire support

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jerry J, Nov 19, 2003.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I've been thinking that I want an X Wire wireless unit. Really nice stuff from what I've heard.

But we all know that electronics tend to break over a period of time. And with the fact that these X Wires have been out for several years there is a good chance that issues might come up.

Has anyone ever had to have theirs serviced? Is there anyone that is set up to service these and are replacement parts available?

I would tend to think that maybe the current stuff may be the way to go just for the support.

What do you think?

2. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    I emailed Sennheiser (they bought out x wire) about this a couple months ago, and this is the response I got:

X-Wire contact info...
    916-929-9473

I haven't had a need to call, but you could try and see what they have to say.

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I doubt you could get any help with it from XWire. They sold the company to Sennheiser, for a rather large sum I understand. I guess you'll have to take your chances.

My X-Wire is great, but then again I haven't had the opportunity to gig with it. It's not a terribly sturdy unit, but it is designed to be rackmount, so if you are careful with it you shouldn't have any problems.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I suggest you pick up the Sennheiser 1092 Digital Wireless (based on the X-Wire technology)system if you can. Especially if you have a good friend working at Guitar Center who will be willing to work on the price with you.

I bought mine with a 2 year extended (full replacement) waranty service from Guitar Center for an amazing price and have been selling them the same way.

Peace
    Nick

5. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    Thanks for the replies. It seems the current going price on the old X Wire units is $500.

Man if that thing went out??? It it would probably be a lost cause. Maybe it's not the wisest thing.

6. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thats exactly why I bought the Sennheiser version.

I know that at Guitar Center they are going for $299 but Im sure you can get it for that price elsewhere. I would still recomend Guitar Center because you can get the Performance Garantee ($25 for one year extension, $40 for two at the price of $299) waranty service and if you know someone who can work out a deal with you it will pay off even more.

You can also test drive it in the store as opposed to buying online through Musicians Friend or another similar company.

Peace
    Nick

7. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Not so subtle plug there! :D

8. farboozle

farboozle

Apr 18, 2000
    Fairfax VA
    I know I had several bad experiences with the Sennheiser unit, wouldn't work in random places, problems with more than one replacement. Many other people also have stories about reliability problems with those units. I have not had a single problem with my Xwire. And I hear that they actually do still have a service department, even though they sold the technology. Call the number and see if anyone answers . . .

9. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I looked into it heavily, but I went ahead and spent twice as much on the XWire and the Sennhieser. It seems that there have been more bad experiences than good with the Senn, and I've never heard anything bad about XWire. As far as support, I haven't had mine long enough to need it, but don't see any problem in the future. The transmitter seems VERY well built, and though the receiver seems a little delicate, I'm not the type to throw my rack around, so it should be OK.

10. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    I might work at a Guitar Center but I have absolutely nothing to gain in any way (other than maybe the satisfaction of knowing I might have guided someone towards a good purchase) by anyone on this board purchasing anything from Guitar Center unless you happen to buy it directly from me at my store and the sale goes under my employee number.

Ive only been working there about 4 and a half months and will be leaving in another 1 and a half for college. I only recommend what I recommend because I really believe in it. Hell, I bought the same exact system Im recommending he buy.

Not a plug.

Peace
    Nick

11. kulasterol

kulasterol

Jul 17, 2003
    For a limited time after they sold their Quadiversity technology, Xwire (located in Sacramento) was still repairing these wireless systems. That has come to pass; you need to contact Sennheiser -- they seem receptive to repairing these stuff as long as you get an RMA. As for the Sennheiser wireless digital system, I've owned two new ones and they both crapped out within 3 months! I've owned 6 Xwire systems (and except for the universally acknowledged substandard mic transmitter) none ever went bad. No wonder, these things are so much in demand.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Sennheiser bought the patents to X-wire's digital technology, but I don't believe there's much similarity between the units. I think the X-wire has 24-bit A/D conversion while the Sennheiser has 20 bit conversion. In short, Sennheiser is not X-wire, and doesn't share the reputation.

13. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    It's 20-bit and 16-bit, respectively.;)

14. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    2 hour battery life is not acceptable. This is what my friends are getting with their Sennheiser units. My Shure goes 14 hours on a battery.

15. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    So has anyone tried calling the number? I realize I could call myself, but I haven't because:

1. I'm lazy.

2. I don't have long distance. I could go out and buy a phone card, but then we're back at 1.

16. smahtkid

smahtkid

May 8, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    While we're on it, I'm trying to weigh the pros&cons of the EW172 vs. 1092/Digital1000. The internet opinion seems to lean toward the 1092's ex-xWire Quadiversity (and non-companding) technology for sound quality. But almost every reviewer complains of short battery life and chintzy plastic reciever casing AS WELL as less than reliable performance. The EW172 has the all-steel case and 8+ hrs battery life going for it (plus it's only about $60 more online) and no outstanding performance complaints...

So what of it? Is the sound from the 1092 worth the likelyhood of returning 2 or 3 units? Seems like I could deal with a companding circuit that's $60 more but will save me $$$ on 9Vs... plus I'm friggin clumsy! (read: danger to plastic equipment)...

To further complicate this matter, in the same price range is the Carvin rackmount UHF wireless. JBPLAYER says it's the shiite for bass and not to waste time and shipping on the Senn products! Too bad he's like one of three people that own one ;) (thanks tho). I know lots of people wince at Carvin, but I've had 2 good experiences with their stuff. I'm thinking of trying it out even tho I'd like to have an EW172 to match my guitarists IF that's the best bet!

HELP! Brain melting...

-Wil

17. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    What is the frequency range of EW unit? Most of the unit out there only go down to 50hz or higher. The Sennheiser is 20hz/25hz to 15k. Being that my open B is down around 30hz I did buy a Digital 1092 and returned it after one practice for several reasons:

1.) I experience the infamous "2 hour battery life"
    2.) Mine came with the antennae(bent) already attached to the transmitter and the case looked like it had been handled
    3.) Too many people are saying they either got DOA units or they went bad after a very short time
    4.) Sennheiser discontinued them for a reason and everyone that handles them are "blowing them out" CHEAP.
    5.) Receiver is plastic and doesn't look like it will hold up.

I bit the bullet and ordered a Shure ULXP14 unit which has similar specs but is made better, has at least 4 times the battery life and has 1440 frequencies available. Plus it scans the room you're in and tunes itself to clear channels. Double the price but the piece of mind is worth it.

By the way the Sennheiser sounded great while it was here.

18. smahtkid

smahtkid

May 8, 2003
    Syracuse, NY
    Ok, I can't find the actual specs for the EW172 - the Senn website says some crap like "518... 870 mHz". Any ideas on that one?

The Carvin U7500 is supposed to be 40 Hz to 16k Hz which sounds more realistic. I only use my low B on like 2 songs right now, so I doubt it'll matter much. JBPLAYER also estimates 8 hours on average for a battery - Senn is advertising the EW at "8 hours or greater" for a 9V...

Freq's on the EW and Carvin experiences welcome.
    -Wil

19. grooveguru

grooveguru

Sep 14, 2000
    Central PA
    I found the Sennheiser freq range in the operating manual. It's 60-18,000Hz