X Wire wireless ?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by inazone, Aug 7, 2003.

1. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    I have a line on a x wire xr905, xt905. A couple of ?s. If the unit breaks, can I get it fixed or am I just out $ ? How much are they worth? I did a search and all the coments are that these are the best but no one says why, they just say why they dont like the other brands. Thanks for the help! BTW sorry if this is in the wrong forum.
  2. DRN

Mar 17, 2002
    Las Vegas
    I do not know if your out of luck if it breaks. I am sure some tech somewhere can fix it but no repair centers I know of.

As for cost they typically go from $400.00 to $600.00 At least that is what I have seen.

As for why 20 bit digital conversion, no expanders or compression, quadiversity, it is the only wireless that did not color or take away from my tone. Low end in tact. I a/b it with monster cables and could not hear the difference.
    I also like the digital display the gives you acurate battery life remaining in hours. Two buttons, on and channel select, Very light receiver, very tough transmitter need I go on.

Downside 2-rack spaces otherwise this thing rules.

As for the wrong forum yeah this will get moved by a mod soon. Shhhhh If you be real quiet you can hear one typing right now:D ;)
  3. If you decide NOT to go for it, could you please send me a PM with the seller's coordinates. I've been searching for one of these forever. Thank you.
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    clickity-clack-clickity... hmm :meh:

Effects I guess :confused:
  5. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    sorry oddi its gone. I came home from the store to get $ and when I went back to get it it was gone s.o.b. ! I told them I wanted it and I think one of the employees took it. Heres the bad thing. They wanted $319.00 for it. oh well.
  6. thumbtrap

Jun 26, 2003
    How about the Sennheiser unit? I see it's down around $300 or so. I wish it were 2.4ghz instead of 900, but aside from that - if I were shopping for a wireless it looks interesting.
  7. Thanks anyhow, and sorry that you missed out.
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have one; it's great! Studios use these alot, because some people feel they sound better than cables. No compression, expansion, or any other tone squashing muckety muck. As far as I understand it, the transmitter encodes the signal so the only thing the reciever picks up is it's own signal. No Spinal Tap air traffic controller announcements at shows!

The Sennheiser(?) is similar, but still funks with your signal somewhat. It's a pretty good, cheap alternative.

I scored my X-Wire brand new for $500. Schawing!
  9. kulasterol

Jul 17, 2003

Sorry to hear you were a little late getting your paws on that xWire. If you get another chance, grab it quick -- you won't be sorry. AND, if you ever are, email me and I'll buy it from you!

Wish I'd joined Talkbass forum before I sold 4 units at eBay (3 went to guitarists and I sold the 4th one to a bassist friend up in Seattle). Wish now I had offered 'em first to bass players in this forum -- of all the wireless sytems I've used, xWire is the ONLY one that didn't color my bass sound.

When the first production models came out, a couple of xWire techs came to our club gig with 3 new systems and offered to have the band field test these things for a month, free of a charge. Understandably, we were dubious of the initial claims regarding these units. Hell, we never even heard of xWire and they were just around the corner out in Sacramento. Our show sometimes called for the lead guitarist to exit the front door, go around the building, then reenter thru the rear door while continously playing riffs. Invariably, some notes would drop off as he played (and he tried gawd awful many wireless systems to resolve this problem, all to no avail). BUT, the xWire is the ONLY system that never suffered any dropouts nor colored the sound. By the end of the 2nd set, the two guitar players and I forked out $500 each to buy these animals. It is THAT good. A month later, I bought a mic wireless system from the very same guys. I did have a problem with a guitar transmitter once but xWire promptly repaired it for free.

When xWire sold their Quadiversity technology to Sennheiser, our local GC store started selling these things off during their end-of-the-year inventory sale. I scarfed-up three complete systems for $50 each and when I put 'em up for auction at eBay, all 3 went for $500+. The point is, there are still good deals on xWire out there, albeit it's getting harder to find 'em. So, when you see one, jump on it right away. As for me, I'm still trying to convince our two guitar players to palm off their extra xWire systems to me. If successful, I promise to offer 'em at this Talkbass forum first before going out to the general public.

Good luck to ya.
  10. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    thanks for the info! ill keep a lookout.
  11. kulasterol

Jul 17, 2003
    Check PM re someone selling xWire. Good luck.
  12. drjoeshmoe

Jun 10, 2005