Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter Squire, Jun 17, 2005.

1. New Coldplay album.

Been slammed in the reviews. Methinks its not that bad, its a good listen.

reason its been slammed? well, they say Coldplay threw out the entire first session because the songs weren't good enough. if this is their better stuff, i would be hating to hear the crap they threw out.

nextly, after three years waiting for the follow up to Rush of Blood, all us Coldplay fans were expecting a stunning album. X&Y is not it. Don't get me wrong, I like the new album, I can't wait for the tour, but....well, just not living up to expectation.

Heheh, guess thats what you get when you love a band....
  2. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium
    It's getting nothing but enormous praise over here.
  3. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Same here.
    I've never listened to them except what I've heard on the radio, and some of my friends really like them. The new stuff seems to be pretty good, but I doubt I will buy it.
  4. Hmm, interesting. I know that Aussie music reviewers are fairly pretensious, so its good to hear that its getting good press elsewhere.

From a bass point of view, Coldplay is nothing to get excited about, but from a songwriting view, Chris Martin knows how to get the job done.
  5. Syeknom

Oct 17, 2004
    Leuven, Belgium

They're at the good end of the modern pop soft rock spectrum, and are better than most mainstream popular bands out of there to be honest. Nothing to get immensly excited about, but enjoyable to listen to.
  6. I's just amazing in this day and age of commercial radio that these guys are even being played.

And I don't understand how one can harp on the band for throwing songs out and speculating how these are deemed better songs when it really does sound like "rush of blood part 2".

Admit it. I like the band just fine, but they are hardly groundbreaking despite their efforts. They write a decent hook, exploit it for 4 minutes and move on...you know what you're getting and that's cool....I'd safely say I'll take their brand of post Ok Computer Radiohead-isms over the masturbatory pap that Yorke & Co. have been releasing anyday.
  7. its a good album, i think that most coldplay songs sound a bit the same to me, i think that new single sounds a lot like clocks to my ears, but clocks is my favorite song by coldplay, so its not a horribly bad thing!
  8. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    What I've heard from it sounded like "A rush of blood..." pt 2.

I don't like them, maybe Chris Martin's arrogance has something to do with it.