Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

X2-Awesome Movie!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bryan R. Tyler, May 3, 2003.

1. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    MUCH better than the first one. Definitely up there on my sci-fi movie list-probably equal to the LOTR movies. Aside from a vanilla Coke exploding in my lap (that's what you get for sneaking your own soda in), it was a great movie experience. Anyone else see it?

2. I had the chance to see it, may see it tonight, maybe next weekend

3. Better, yes. But good movie?

Meh.

Yes, that's right, meh. M E H, meh.

Rock on
    Eric:bassist:

4. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Vanilla coke is evil! not for it's taste, but for the amount of Vanilla coke related incidents I've been a part of.
    (note: I really like vanilla coke, but there have been many times when it has spoiled a perfectly good sitting-session)

It's hard to call ANY sci-fi movie a "good" movie. especially sci-fi/action/comic book movies. that's just a tough nut to crack.

5. Yeah, I saw it last night, I was pretty impressed by it and I thought it was better than the first one. The newer characters weren't upto much though.

6. Wha? This isn't true IMO, there are some very "good" sci-fi movies (and no im NOT talking about SFX) for example the old star wars trilogy. although i share your oppinion that there are no "good" comic book movies

7. Star Wars is the exception, but when you consider the 852,423,563,450 other sci-fi movies out there that were total crap....

Sci-fi, in general, is best suited to book and TV series formats.

8. Hmm there are a few more good sci-i movies but books really are the best format for sci-fi

9. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

Star Wars is fantasy not sci fi.

10. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    To me, fantasy is taking all the viability out of reality and trading it for implausible and fantastical elements. I'd call Star Wars sci fi, but not Science Fiction. Going by a definition I heard by Harlan Ellison (I think), Science Fiction is a viable take on reality, just with an alteration in the scientific world, making a whole slew of new happenstances possible, while Sci-Fi is more comic book-related space aliens stuff, but still has groundings in plausible facts. Star Wars seems to go along best with sci fi.

11. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I saw it last night too. It was really good. I really enjoyed it.

12. Justin V

Justin V

Dec 27, 2000
    Alameda, CA
    I saw it yesterday afternoon. I thought it was really good. I especially liked how they bassically stated what the next one is gonna be about at the end.

13. tuBass

tuBass

Dec 14, 2002
    Mesquite, Texas
    I saw it with my son last night. Its great, probably better than the original, and they did a great job setting up the next movie. Only those familiar with the original comic history from 20 years ago would catch the way they did it, but as someone who read comics in the early 80's I was practically cheering at the end.

Mark

14. but if it wasn't for all those lame old sci-fi flicks, what would Mike, Servo and Crow watch on MST3K???

15. Ben Mishler

Ben Mishler

Jan 22, 2003
    San Jose
    I saw it last night, and that a very enjoyable movie. It was probably even as good as the first one IMO.

16. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    X-men, psh, i saw lizzie maguire:D

17. Desdenova

Desdenova

Feb 18, 2003
    Hampton, VA
    Mystery Science Theater is one of my favorite shows. Too bad I rarely wake up in time to see it. I've been wondering if Sci-Fi still shows a weekly anime movie? I never get to see much aside from what I can bum off others occasionally, and the few movies I saw on there were pretty good.

I prefer fantasy to sci-fi, and to back that up: try and compare any sci-fi book to A Song of Ice and Fire and tell me the latter isn't outrageously better.

18. Chace90

Chace90 Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I thought it was pretty cool. The matrix preview totally set me up for two weeks from now! That's really gonna be great.

19. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    yeah it was a close call for me....but I decided with the X-men......;)

20. I saw it today, and have to say that I liked it a lot. Way better than the first one. Worth the price for a matinee ticket.:D :D

jtbp