1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

X2 Wireless-Any SIGNIFICANT negatives ? I have re/searched. Time to buy

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by jibreel, Jul 19, 2007.

1. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I have searched and read all of the threads in the pickups and ELECTRONICS section only. Time to buy.

Just wanted to know if anyone had any signficant negatives.

Thanks

2. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    Not to sound rude, but if you searched and read all threads, didn't you notice that wireless threads go in misc? BTW, if you had read them all indeed, you'd have noticed that the same thread was started earlier today there :rolleyes:

3. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    If you enter "wireless: in the search of the pickups section you get 6 pages of threads. As such, I have never been to the misc section of this site.

4. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    You get as much defensive as you want, but a wireless system is not a pickup either. Maybe you could say it's "electronics", but it's not more "electronics" than effects and amps are. If you couldn't realise it goes in misc, the most logical assumption (especially as you're asking about a pedal-style wireless) would be to go to the effects forum, where it's stated in the FAQ. Also, if you hadn't searched only in Pickups for "wireless", as if you knew that's the right forum, you would have seen that most threads appear in misc.

5. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    lol. i think the many efficient mods here are capable of deciding what should go where, when and how ;) . i'm glad you posted re: the x2, as i am gassing for one...more info the better :)

6. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    I was just going about my business looking for some feedback.

7. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    and for those of us who are wanting info about this wireless system instead of a lesson onforum etiquette, can anyone chime in? I'm ready to buy but will have to make a sight unseen decision. Oh well I think American musical has a 30 day return policy. I guess I'll take the plunge and find out for myself.

8. Well, it depends if you're talking about the original X2 or the new one. I have one of the original X2s and love it to death. I bought it used for around $500 and it was worth every penny. The fact that I don't have to worry about my cable, AND my tone is not squashed at all like most wireless systems is great.

By all accounts, the new X2 is just as good from a sound standpoint, and is actually slightly less expensive new than the originals seem to still go for used. The original is a 2 space rack mount unit as opposed to the new pedal system. You may prefer one to the other.

One downside to the original is that as it has been discontinued for ages, if you have any problems with it, you may be SOL. Personally, for that reason, and the cost, I would lean towards the new model if I had to purchase today. And, based on my experience with the original, I would not hesitate to spend the money on another one.

9. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
  10. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    thanks. this looks to be "the one" :)

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  12. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    cool, thanks everybody. looks like I'm takin the leap. I'll report back after I get it.
    cb

13. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  14. jibreel

jibreel

Apr 12, 2005
    Seattle
    Don't know why I even responded in the first place

15. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    6 pages in pickups, and 27 in misc... and anyway, if the mods don't move these threads for whatever reason (be it lack of time or whatever) that doesn't mean that users must not do so as well. It is clearly stated that wireless threads belong to misc.

Also, did I really offered nothing positive? Yeah, I didn't say it in the happiest way, but I pointed out that there are hundreds of more threads in misc that you didn't even know that existed, and that there was already the same thread with replies. Whatever.

16. lonegroover

lonegroover

Jul 16, 2006
    #1 to that

17. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    i'm torn about replying. with all the crap about this being in the wrong forum... oh well, i'm already here.

as far as interference, can one shield the inside of the reciever like one shields the control cavity of a bass? would this make a difference?

18. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco/HELIX user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
    I avoided the X2 when getting my son a wireless because I read of some "line of sight" issues in one thread. He's using it in a marching band....and folks/band gear does get between him and the receiver. He'd also be using it in the stadium stands while the rig stays on the ground.

So another Sennheiser 172 got bought set to the same frequncy as the one "Dad"(me) has used for over a year.

19. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    getting a wireless soon, the info on the listed threads is good

prolly gonna go x2 plus or 172 g2

what did you guys in this thread end up doing?

anyone do a side by side comparison for an extended period of time, say a week or so?

al

20. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Sennheiser makes a very good wireless, but even with the line of sight issues (that was me, BTW), the X2 is still the best-sounding wireless I've ever used.

And before everyone asks, I've found that if you have something blocking your line of sight between the transmitter and the receiver, you can get dropouts with the X2. I regularly play a stage that has a railing around it (don't ask me what they were thinking), and if I get off the stage and the railing is between me and my amp, it will sometimes drop out. If you can keep the receiver elevated pretty high, it's a lot better about it, but it is an issue if you don't have a good line of sight. Still, I believe it's worth putting up with it for the tone.