Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XavierG vs. Recording Industry

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by XavierG, Dec 11, 2002.

1. I've just discovered that everytime we Canadians (maybe you yanks too) buy recordable media, be it a CD-R, Memory Card, or what have you, we pay a surcharge that goes directly to the recording industry. The "tax" is meant to compensate the recording industry for rampant illegal mp3 downloads and illegal copying and distribution of albums (how many of you actually believe this revenue goes to the recording artist?). Now, as far as I'm concerned, if I've been paying a surcharge for the past however many years for all the SmartCard's and CD-R's I've purchased for "legitimate" use, then I should feel free to download mp3's and make cd copies as I please. I've paid for them! The sad part is, as a musician, I know this line of thinking can only harm recording artists. Even more scary, that 'surcharge' is about to increase, and also cover items like mp3 players, cd writers, and more. What do you guys think about this?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say it's a good way to deal with it, as long as they let us download and copy anything we want.

3. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Yeah, but they won't. I don't like "they" very much.

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Good point.

If theyre gonna charge us then they shouldnt ban it.

I understand that the recording industry is losing alot of money this way, but to tell you the truth, Ive felt that the recording industry has been making alot of other mistakes that make me mad and not want to do more to support it.

Quick easy examples.

Rolling Stones tickets (obviously good)= $300!

CD's ~ $17

Asside from that, most the new music (pop) out there isnt worth downloading in the first place. I dont know who is downloading it, but its not me.

I like to use my downloading software for "test driving" a cd. I download a few songs, and if I feel its worth it, I buy the album. Many bands suck, but alot of them are real musicians and deserve to be paid for their work.

Alot of times I hear something and realize its crap. Id rather know its crap so I dont buy it than spend $20 and then find out Id be better off buying a few sets of Rouge strings.

They cant expect us to pay so much for music when we have such a great alternative.

Ok, I think Im done.

Peace
    Nick

5. Yes, I agree, to a certain extent. As I said, I no longer consider it illegal to download mp3's.... though the industry still does. Also, what of those who are not interested in music? What are they getting in return for the money they dole out to the recording compamies? Furthermore, is this money going to the artists, as it should?

6. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    How much of the "fee" is going to us artists?

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    This annoys me too. How dare "they" assume that I WILL use the media for illegal purposes?

Mind you, I have NO sympathy for the music industry and their so-called "woes".

They've been screwing us, the paying public, for decades; now I laugh when I hear about their "troubles". It's their failure to adapt that is going to cost them.

8. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

it's Us against "Big Music Industry"!

There's a 1000 charges and surcharges. If any money does go to the artist for the sale of a CD, isn't it up to the "artist" to negotiate that? BTW, I'm hardly a defender of "Big Music Industry".

Hate to throw a political jab in, but "Big Music's" ASSUMING that we're going to illegally re-pro legally purchsed tunes is the same as saying more legally bought guns equal more crime.

So...more legally purchased CD's equals More Crime?

9. It's not separate. That would be too obvious. No, they snuck it in there so that the consumer would not be aware of it. I can't imagine how they can get away with this... IT'S ROBBERY as far as I'm concerned. Seems they've decided that since they get cheated out of their (inflated) share of revenue when some people "steal" their music, it's okay for them to rip everyone off. It also seems like the government condones this.

If they aren't doing so already, they're apparently looking at doing so soon.

10. I highly doubt it. I trust NO big Company/Industry.

If I may, a short pertinent story.

I don't have the exact dates this happened, but, I'll try to be as accurate as I can from memory.

For about a 5(?) year period from the mid eighties to (?) NYNEX, the then phone Co for much of the Northeasten U.S. had a really sweet scam going on.
    Whenever anyone used a pay phone and their time was nearing its end, a computer voice would say, "Please deposit 5 cents for the next 3 minutes." What was deceiving about it? Whether you deposited 5 cents or 10 cents or a quarter you still only got 3 more minutes. How's that for semantics? All the extra money was kept by them. :mad:

After a while, someone caught on to this and hauled them into court. In the end, NYNEX was found guilty and fined $14 million dollars. That sounds like a pretty stiff fine doesn't it? Maybe, but it was estimated that for all the time this scam was going on unchecked, NYNEX pocketed about $250 million dollars! :eek:

Not bad, huh? You rip off the public for $250 million, pay a fine of $14 million and I don't think they were required to do anything else, except to change the computer voice prompt to be more accurate.

Where'd the other $236 million go? That was the last I herad of it.*

So as for the Music industry, they're not stupid. And they cry that THEY'RE getting ripped off!

What a world. :(

Mike J.
    * This is the story as best I can remember it. There may be some inaccuracies contained within it, but I really do not think so. I haven't done any research prior to posting this.

11. well, this tax was put on empty cds in iceland last year (I even posted a thread here about it) and I also think it's very stupid.

1. Why am I paying Britney Spears (or the icelandic equivalent) if I want to record my music into cds?

2. and what I think is even more annoying, why do I have to pay taxes to the music biz if I decide to make a program, game, or just take a backup of my pc into cds?

this is ridiculous! :mad:

12. probably... they do so here in iceland.

13. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Wow, I hate paying for things twice. :mad: :mad:

14. Can I speak as an accountant? Stealing music is actually the correct thing for people to do.

Economic theory dictates that it is YOUR DUTY TO STEAL MUSIC! As a RATIONAL CONSUMER, you must do what is necessary to MAXIMIZE YOUR WEALTH or else we will have an INEFFICIENT ALLOCATION OF RESOURCES.

The real way out of this dilemma is to have the music labels produce a worthwhile product and sell it at a reasonable price.

Start selling ALBUMS (instead of a single + filler) and sell it at a price where the consumer would prefer an official CD rather than a free near-quality MP3.

So the ball is really in the music industry's court.

In case you are wondering, some days I regret wasting my university days studying business rather than getting a REAL EDUCATION in the arts or sciences. A business degree is a total sham but it helps you get a well-paying job!

15. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Here's another thing that burns my biscuits about the music industry. Just ten years ago a CD at most (not classcial) was $10.00. Now it isn't unusual for a CD to run $18.00.

So someone sued the industry about a year and a half ago for selling CDs at super-inflated prices and they won and the industry was supposed to lower the prices to make up for all that were sold at too high a price. However, no prices were ever lowered. Instead they were raised.

Just last week I heard the music industry (meaning the big three or four companies, ie. Sony, Columbia, BMG, etc) were told again to lower the prices because they are gouging the public...but nothing has happened.

I would buy MORE CDs if the prices were fair. Right now, I have cut way back on my CD purchases, because nearly $20 bucks is too much to pay, especially if the CD is a disappointment.

Personally, I suspect that part of the reason CD sales are down is that the companies have raised their prices so high, folks can't buy as many CDs as before. Piracy may be part of the problem, but prohibitive pricing contributes to piracy. Folks want music, but they can't afford it, so they find other means to get it.

Now Xavier says the music industry is tacking on a surcharge to CD-Rs. It seems like the "Big Guns" of music are punishing music lovers every which way, but they don't give us much in return. Example: The latest CDs of Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey and J-Lo, plus Kenny G's Super Lame "Wishes" album. If that's all we can expect from the industry, no wonder sales are down. Those inferior CDs aren't even worth pirating.

16. Um, stupid idea. Wouldn't more people, as they discover this tax, start to download their music instead of pay the tax? This would cause a larger decrease in sales, and a increase in the surcharge tax. Right? Maybe that's why it's gonna increase here soon.
    Corporate is a bitch.:mad:

17. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    With the price of new CDs i tend to just buy them used e.g. almost all of my CDs. I got a Weather Report-The Collection CD for $8. I don't like paying any more than i have to for a CD & i just soon buy it used. I think it is bad if they're taxing things just because one of the uses of them. Thats all

18. Due to the increased technology, and file compresion of an Mp3, they actually have better quality than a CD. That's the impression that I'm under. If anyone knows I'm wrong, just tell me.:)

19. I do not know if that is the same here in australia. Burners have dropped in price dramatically in the last 2 months. Gone from $160 to about $90. And blank cd's are fairly cheap at 50cents each on average.

For an upcoming band such as mine, we are not too fussed yet. We are the ones putting our Mp3's on Kazzaa and WinMX we have them for free download on our website etc. So sure people can rip em off... seeing as we're letting them. But hey that typically changes with bands once they realise they could make just that bit extra.. or maybe we're the so called next generation of free music :rolleyes:

:D:D

Merls

20. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

and up/download anything I've ever recorded and burn it onto a CD, that'd be the nicest thing they ever said about my music. Not that any of it is out there.

But seriously, CD prices ARE gaudy. I would definately buy more music if it was worth it. I am getting just as much out of re-visiting old records, than plunkin' down 18.00 to hear the same tunes slightly cleaner.