Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XavierG's TalkBass Play-along

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by XavierG, Mar 14, 2002.

1. ************************************
    I'll be posting the list of submitted mp3's and links to them here, instead of doing it as part of my sig (too long). Check here (and elsewhere within this thread) for updates.

Click the member names below to hear their 'entry'.
    [size=-3]
    CLICK HERE TO STREAM ALL

Pacman
    narud
    LowEndRider
    XavierG
    Phil Smith
    feckn_eejit[/size]

This is an offshoot of "Project Talkbass", posted in 'Recording Gear & Equipment'. The difference being that this will (hopefuly) be an ongoing thing with different tunes posted on a regular (monthly? weekly?) basis, and, rather than being an "All Star" project where each one who participates contributes to one final version of the tune, this one is a solo-effort where you will record your bass track over the project tune, and we post your final mix for all to hear. It will be interesting to hear the different interpretations of the project tune.

How it works -
    On a regular basis (frequency yet to be determined), I will post a project here (this thread). The project will consist of 2 separate mp3 versions of a tune. One version will be the Project Sample and will include a software generated bass track which will be provided merely to give those less innovative amongst us a basis (or guide) on which we can create our bass-line (the idea is not to copy the sample bass line note for note). The 2nd mp3 track will be the Project Working Track, which will be the same tune as the sample, MINUS BASS. This is the track you will load onto your multitracker and dub your bassline onto. When you're satisfied with your bassline, mix it down w/ the original working track. Here's the tricky part, as much as I'd like to host everyones final mp3, I can only accomodate a limited few (server size restrictions). If anyone has ideas, let me know. In the meantime, email your entries to me (in mp3 format) at xavier@xaviergrosson.com . I'll host it (as many as I can until I run out of server space) and put a link to it in a post in this thread. Confused? Me too.

Oh, I will do my best to post different styles, so as to accomodate as many of you as possible.

PROJECT 1 "Fusion Jam"

30 sec. Excerpt = Excerpt

Tempo = 120

Sample mp3 = Project Sample

Working Copy (minus bass) = Project Working Track

Chords/Notation Sheet (Bass) (JPG format) = Project Sheet

MIDI File = MIDI

Band In A Box Song file = BIAB SGU File

[size=-2]***Thanks to AllodoX for hosting the Project files***[/size]

.Have fun!

Xavier

2. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Wow!

That's a very cool thing you´re doing :)

I REALLY have to get going and buy the Sansamp Bass driver DI so I can record my bass properly :(

B.t.w. do you use some kind of software for the multitracing, or have you got an 4track or something?
    (Forgive my ignorance).

3. Hey XavierG.. send those mp3's to me.. i've got a webserver with ( currently ) 120GB free diskspace.

I can host a lot of 'em :D

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    this is cool. I'll do something this weekend.

Hey X - do you want to put up the changes so that all of us can participate? Or do you only want us to do it if we can transcribe it? ;)

5. Great idea...

...I gotta find a way to record.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Cool idea!

Could you please post the BIAB file too?

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    That's an excellent idea! I might give it try.

8. Ok, I've edited the original post to add:

1) A chord/notation sheet in .jpg format - save it to disk and print it out.
    2) The Band-In-A-Box Song File (SGU) for anyone who needs it.

REMEMBER - The idea is not to copy the sample bassline, but to use it as a guide if you need to.

AllodoX - re: hosting.... THANKS! That would be really great. Perhaps everyone can email their mp3's to me and I can forward them to you for posting (after I checked levels, etc.)

Icez - I use Cool Edit Pro. I'm not familiar with other titles - maybe someone else can help. Maybe you can try Quartz Audio Master (freeware)

X

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Great idea! Now, if I could only get my recording equipment back into working condition...

10. Well, I sat down and started to play around with this tune. While trying to get my levels right and eliminating hisses and buzz (which I have yet to do), I recorded this little portion, but added some horn (drunken horns is more like it). I was wondering, do you guys think we should have the liberty to embelish the original project track by adding other instruments to it (aside from bass)? Your thoughts please.... while you listen to my silly recording ;)

XGTake1.mp3

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Cool idea! I'm going to take the BIB file and export to MIDI and drop it into my sequencer to do the play along.

12. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I did that too!

Sounds great with the Native Instruments B4 (Hammond) and Battery (drum sample player).

13. Really cool Xman. Big Thumbs up. I don't have enough recording experience to really do it correctly, but I'll try. Mucho fun, and it's great practice!

14. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    I was feeling very motivated tonight and so here's my clips. One is the bass line, the other is a solo over the changes. Remember folks, be kind. :D

Bass line

Solo

I took the BB file and exported as midi and loaded it into my Yamaha QY70 sequencer and then recorded the rhythm track without the bass line to a mini disc. I then played along with the track and recorded my Alembic Series II direct in stereo for the mix. I'm still futzing around with the levels on this bass which can get pretty hot depending on how hard you pull on the strings.

15. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    BEWARE GUYS!!!!!

X is really Fred Durst and is swiping your material. RUN RUN RUN FOR THE HILLS!!!:D

Remember where you heard it first.

Mike;) :D ;)

16. can anybody convert the BIB file to a standard GM-midi file ?

i don't have band in a box..

17. JMX

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Here you go

18. Heyl..... our first entry! Thanks for getting the ball rolling, Phil. Good job.

19. Merci beaucoup, Monsieur JMX :)

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    On its way to you, X

its loose, but hey - this is supposed to be loose, right?