1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

XBlender and others

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by u84six, Jan 2, 2012.

1. u84six

u84six Nobody panic, the bass player is here! Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Hi,
    I've been researching different blender options and I'm kind of stuck on one feature. The XBlender gets great reviews, so I'm leaning towards that. But my concern is the actual blend knob. Will this decrease my clean volume when I blend in the wet? What I think I want is my clean signal to stay at a constant level while adding in some effects in parallel, giving the effects more of a "background" position. Can I do this with the XBlender or do I need a blender with separate volumes for each channel?

2. Jarnett

Jarnett

Dec 17, 2011
    Adrian Michigan
    The X blender mixes the wet signal with the dry, so if you want a more transparent effects mixed in with the clean sound then you'll be good.

3. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Yes, the X-Blender will vary your wet/dry mix, while keeping the volume consistent. I can't remember if it has a separate master output volume.

Other units, among them the Wounded Paw and Boss LS-2 blenders have a separate volume for the clean channel.

You CAN do what you've described with the X-Blender set at a low wet to dry ratio. It might not be exactly what you're hoping for. To keep the dry volume full, get a pedal with two volumes. There are lots to choose from that all do similar, but not identical functions.

4. Unrepresented

Unrepresented Something Borderline Offensive

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Between the clean boost function and the blend knob, you should be able to get something that's very close to what you want with the X-Blender. It might take a little bit of dialing in, but you should be able to make it sound as if you're simply adding to your clean tone as opposed to blending it.

5. Since you have such a specific desire/request, I would use one of the pedals that will do exactly what you want- and the Xblender won't do what you want. The Boss LS-2, the Wounded Paw blender, and the sfx Loop Logic all will do what you want, and you could probably get This1sMyne to make something exactly like that, a parallel FX loop you can mix in addition to an uninterrupted clean signal.

6. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Hmm, getting mixed responses here. Some are saying that XBlender will do it (because it does have a parallel mode) and some are saying it won't because each channel needs separate volumes. By looking at this schematic (scroll down), it looks like the clean sound's volume WILL be changed when using the blend knob, which is not what I want. But I can't be sure withou trying it. ;)

http://www.analogman.com/xblend.htm

7. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yes and no.

The clean volume will be changed by adjusting the blend. However there's also a built in gain boost knob that can be utilized to increase the overall output. Between tweaking the two, you should be able to maintain your clean signal level while adding in whatever level of effect volume you want.

That said, what specifically is your application? You're likely going to have headroom problems on your amp if you're adding dB's to your signal which is what your requirement implies if you're looking to maintain your clean volume level.

8. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    I think I'm just not understanding what's going to happen with a blender. All the pedals are kind of different from each other. At first, I thought having to separate volume knobs per channel is what I need because then I can mix based on volume. But then I got to thinking, that's probably what the blend knob of the XBlender is doing, and then there's a boost volume for the blended signal. So I think the XBlender will do exactly what I want.

9. Unrepresented

Jul 1, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    Yup. Instead of two independent knobs controlling the ratio or "blend" of the two signals, the X-Blender has one "blend" knob that allows you to stay closer to unity gain (so you're not all of a sudden pounding your amp (and audience) with volume spikes, unless you set it up to do so.

Additionally, you'll find that you probably won't need to maintain your clean signal level, since the blended signal will have a good amount of redundant frequencies. You'll want to keep some to maintain the lows, or the presence, or whatever, but a lot of the rest will duplicated in the effected blend.

10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Sounds to me that the OP is looking for a mixer, not a blender pedal. I'd look into 2 parallel signals and use a small 4 channel mixer in this case.

11. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    A mixer wouldn't work for my application. I only need one input and one output. A mixer is generally for multiple inputs and two outputs (left/right).

12. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  13. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  14. Berme

Berme

May 11, 2001
    Spain
    I've been using the X-Blender for about two years, and works great keeping the low end of your clean signal, and keeping volumes controlled, at unity gain if desired.

However, I'm not liking the fact that the attack (the high end) of your clean signal gets quite lost, IME. Also, both the volume, lows, highs, and boost knobs work for the blended signal, not the clean one, so this loss of the attack cannot be solved.

So, I use it greatly with my envelope filter, for example. But when using a distortion or fuzz pedal, my attack is lost. This is my experience, maybe someone could point out if this issue is avoidable.

15. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
  16. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
  17. u84six

Nov 8, 2006
    US
    Hmm, that's a little disappointing, because I'm planning on using it for a fuzz loop. Still haven't found one that keeps a dry channel with its own volume.

18. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    If it's like the LS-2, a channel which isn't connected to anything passes a clean signal when it's engaged.
    Looking at the clean + wet blend image on the S&M page, I'd say that's the case.

If you want a clean channel and two parallel effects channels, look at the Wounded Paw Ultra Blender.

19. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Ditto on the Ultra Blender. I don't own one, but have read up on it. It costs just over $200, but does just about everything you could imagine.

I believe WP's regular blender has two volumes as well. You should go to their site and check it out.

20. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    I was wrong. WP's site shows the Ultra Blender at $155 U.S. Maybe it's a misprint because that's less than the Super Blender (now called Version 3).

Anyway u84six, you owe it to yoursself to go to woundedpaw.com. Their Effects Blender Version 2 might be just what you're looking for.