1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xbox 360 advice........

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by jady, Dec 21, 2006.

1. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    So my informants at the north pole tell me there is an Xbox 360 in Santa's sleigh with my name on it.

What games should I look into getting, I already have a "short list",

Elder Scrolls Oblivion
    Tony Hawk Project 8
    Call of Duty 3
    Gears of War
    Marvel Ultimate Alliance

How are these? Anyone played them?

Are there any other must have games I am not aware of?

Thanks

2. clockworkwar

clockworkwar

Mar 20, 2006
    England
    All good, but look into Viva Pinata as well, it sounds stupid but its one awsome game!

Project Gotham 3 is a great racing game as well if you like that kinda thing.

As for your short list ive played most of them and they are all great.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Test Drive Unlimited is excellent. Also, FEAR is worth getting. As is Enchanted Arms if you're looking for a good RPG.

I'm currently playing Viva Pinata, but I've had to stop. It drives me nuts that when you direct a Pinata to do something 9/10 times they'll ignore you!

4. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    Rainbow six Vegas
    Project gotham racing
    Need for speed carbon

5. I dont own one my friend does and im a big gamer

Call of duty 2 or 3 there the same other then story and locations

And gears of war looks immense my friends getting it for christmas

6. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX
    Fight Night Round 3 is great for multiplayer if you like boxing

7. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Out of what you listed, I've played Call of Duty 3 and Gears of War.

Call of Duty 3 isn't much different than the previous games, but it's still a great WWII shooter, and the multiplayer modes are fun.

Gears of War, on the other hand, is my favorite Xbox 360 shooter! It's even better than the coveted Halo 2, IMO (and I'm a Halo fan). You won't regret owning it, I promise :smug:

The only major disappointing feature of GoW would be that the offline multiplayer is limited to 2 players and no AI units (the 2-player thing, I can understand, but it'd have been nice to feature computer players, too). But then again, you'll probably spend most of your time playing single-player or cooperative offline, and doing 4-on-4 matches on Xbox Live anyway :D

8. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    Wow, thanks. I will definately get Gears of War. I dont do any offline multiplayer and have gotten kida used to no AI players in multi anyways, no one does that anymore.

Call of Duty 3 is also on the list, I have played 6 or 7 WWII shooters on my reg xbox and look forward to a next gen one.

What about a RPG? Elder scrolls vs Enchanted arms or should I just wait for Fable 2?

9. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    EA and Oblivion are wildly different. Try them both! Enchanted arms is your more typical RPG affair but I really enjoyed it, the dialogue was especially good and really made me laugh-oh, for the love of the fabulous Makoto.

And the reason for not seeing AI in mutliplayer games much these days is that it is apprently quite complex to and time consuming to program. According to the Timesplitters developers, it takes a long time to get it right since it's hugely different to your standard enemy AI. That said, with a lot of net gaming going on these days, games are expected to run at capacity on human players alone, and so AI bots are often overlooked.

10. Some of these games were mentioned in your list, but here is what I would definitely suggest trying;

Gears of War
    Dead Rising
    Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
    Rainbow Six: Vegas
    Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (Xbox Live Arcade)

Those are really solid games right there! I own each of them and love'em!

11. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Oh yes, Dead Rising is amazing. You have got to play it!

12. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    Oblivion is dissapointing compared to Morrowind. If you haven't played Morrowind, then get Oblivion because it's still fun. But if you have... then I really wouldn't bother. =/

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    You really think so? I liked Morrowind but I thought Oblivion blew it out of the water! maybe it was a little over-simplified, it was still amazing!

14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Madden.

-Mike

15. Demon

Demon

Mar 17, 2006
    Sweden, Stockholm
    I agree with Poop-loops. Morrowind was way better, more epic and more immense. The landscaes in morrowind were way more varied. From big mushrooms to volcanic areas to snowy landscapes (bloodmoon expansion). It also had way more artifacts and unique and cool items, More guilds, and quests. Vampire was actually decent in morrowind (even though it had quite a bit of problems), while in oblivion there were no factions or quests. Oblivion just lacked that extra thing. While morrowind felt like a whole world oblivion felt like a little area of some country if you know what imean. Morrowind was more varied. Imean, oblivion was good, but morrowind was way better!

16. jady

jady

Jul 21, 2006
    Modesto, CA
    I havent played Morrowind so Oblivion it is!!!!!!!

MJ5150, not really into the sports games except for the extreme sports games, amped, T Hawk, etc. Thanks tho....

17. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    No problem. I am just the opposite. :D

The new Tony Hawk game is fun, we have them all. A bit more challenging than in the past, but if you are good at the previous releases, it won't take long for you to get the hang of it.

On a side note, the games at Burger King are a blast to play. You can get them for $4 each if you buy a value meal.

-Mike

18. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

Oblivion is very good, as was Morrowind. Both of them have their positives and negatives. The graphics on Oblivion are quite good. The two of them are the best RPGs I've ever played.

Call of Duty 3 is a lot of fun. I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Very similar to COD2, but with slightly better graphics and new missions, etc..

Gears of War is on my Xmas list. It's a must-own, from what I've heard.

Project Gotham Racing 3 is fun and can be had for cheap. Nothing blows people away on my system like playing a photorealistic racing game they can quickly start playing on a 92" screen. :D

Oddly enough, I found the $3.99 Pocket Racing game from Burger King to be kind of fun, and worth the $4. :eek: I don't know if they're still selling them.

19. While Morrowind seemed more expansive because of the sheer size of the world map, it was incredibly limited. Not to mention the questing system of Morrowind was very ambiguous. The gameplay itself was also hindered by a flawed combat system (shooting arrows that went through the A.I. for example) and very limited worldly interaction. Bethesda basically took the framework from Morrowind and corrected all of it's short-comings while making it far more accessible to the casual gamer. While I miss not having the ability to make doom's day spells like I did in Morrowind, I can't say I could go back to playing it the way it was. Even with the expansions.

20. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned

Mar 3, 2006
    Auburn, Washington
    What Oblivion did was take Morrowind and make it ummm... "tighter" I guess you could say. The combat IS better, so are the graphics and the process of doing quests. But the quests are limited and not as fun. For example, the Dark Brotherhood quests were cut real short. Only the first two were really fun. The rest were hit and runs basically. Whereas in Morrowind you had the Morag Tong which gave you a lot more hit missions. I forget if you could join the Dark Brotherhood in that one... I don't think so...

But those apples you could buy at the DB store? I tried to use them and was never able to. You have to get rid of all the other food in the immediate area and then wait for like a week. What a waste.

Also: no spears, less magic available, and magic was still broken. You can't make any spell do over 100 damage per second and then they get ridiculous prices. Summons were still pretty bad.

I just think they spent more time on the graphics than anything else. Their "Radiant AI" was crap too. Supposed to not repeat the same action even if you kept watching an NPC for 4 hours or so. But who cares? If two NPCs are talking to each other and you attack one, it will defend, but his friend will just stand there and want to shoot the breeze with you.

Oh, and let's not forget the leveling system: you can finish the game at level 1. In fact, it will be easier that way than if you were at level 30. This is because monsters level up with you and so do random item drops and such.