Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

xbox live

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Fuzzbass, Feb 12, 2003.

1. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I've done a little bit of searching to find out how access the 'net simultaneously with Xbox and PC. One article suggested a hub, but I borrowed one and could not get both the Xbox and the PC to talk to the 'net at the same time. One of the techies here at work suggested a router... perhaps the extra safety of a firewall router. I have a software firewall for my PC (ZoneAlarm Pro), but of course that won't protect the Xbox. I don't know that I need firewall protection for my Xbox, but knowing what I do about the Microsoft approach to security, I figure I'd better be safe than sorry.

Anybody else have experience with this? I'd really like to keep things simple... I don't need wireless; I won't need to connect any more than 2 PC's and one Xbox. TIA

2. Fuzzbass

Here's some info from Microsoft... kinda answering my own questions...
    http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/connect/routers.htm

Still, any generic Xbox Live comments can go here. Mine: I kinda feel geeky wearing the communicator headset, especially when I hear that everybody else sounds less than 20 years old (those who talk, anyway), but Unreal Championship is kinda cool nonetheless... :)

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    I've got an Xbox and I recently have acquired a Linksys DSL router which I use to split the connection with my mom's computer where the DSL modem is and my computer in my room. Works perfectly once its setup properly and it still has 2 ports left for extra devices. I figure the Xbox will take a port for some Xbox live action.

Sounds like a cool idea to me, live with consoles. Then again I'm under 20. ;)

4. Fuzzbass

My wife and I don't have kids (won't be having any, either), so I feel it is my duty to be the kid of the family. :p Some of my middle-aged coworkers (even with kids) might be getting in on the action soon.

So far the only Xbox Live title I have is Unreal Championship. It's kind of a sloppy port... I mean, the framerate sometimes gets choppy on big levels even when I'm *not* playing online. But I dig FPS deathmatch type games. Would much rather be using keyboard/mouse than a gamepad, but I'm adjusting.

Mechwarrior looks pretty cool... anybody doing that online? What's it like?