Xbox Xbox Xbox!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Casey C., Nov 12, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    I just bought one, I love it! Anyone else have one? what are some games to get(and not to get)?
  2. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Got one, had it for a like half a year now. Get Halo, everyone will say to get that. Its a classic.

Then wait til Halo 2 comes out and get that. Other than Halo, rent all your games, unless you have a fancy for a certain genre such as sports, car racing, rpg.

Football: go for Madden 2002

Racing: Project Gotham Racing

Those two rentals stuck out to me, havent tried an rpg on Xbox, but Shenmue II looks cool and when Star Wars Galaxies comes out, that will rule. Definitely read up on SW Galaxies if you like the Star Wars thing.
  3. Spam2mapS

Jun 26, 2002
    Ann Arbor, MI
    I'm going to have to go against popular opinion and say Halo deffinitely doesn't live up to the hype for me. There just isn't anything real special about it that sticks out to me. The levels are long and sometimes repetitive, and I'm not to crazy about the multiplayer aspect of it as well. Not saying it's not a good game, If I didn't already have it, I'd rent it, beat it and return it.

There are not many shooters out yet for Xbox, but I recommend you try mech assault when it comes out on thursday (looks like it's gonna be awesome)

As far as racing goes, Project Gotham, GT2002 and rallisport challenge are all great

for football, madden is good, but NFL fevel has that nice feature of beeing able to play through xbox live
  4. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    My little bro has one, and he really liked:

Dead to Rights
    Amped (well, me a bit more than him :D)
    Bloodrayne (even though she doesn't get nekkid)
    Halo (duh)
    Jet Set Radio
  5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    I might consider one if they ever come out with some good games. Bring back good old 2D sidescrollers. Too many games focus too much on looks and too little on gameplay. It's all about the games.
  6. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    Simpson's Road Rash is another game to add to your X-Box list.

I gotta agree with Turock. Although I love Halo, I prefer older and simpler games. Lately, I have been playing solitaire on my computer more than anything else. And one game that I have been really getting into again... Tetris!!! And I love to break out my Super Nintendo and play Super Mario Brothers. I like that more than Mario 64 or the new one for the cube. 2D sidescrollers are the best!

Allthough, I must admit that Halo and Simpson's Road Rage are some of the best games I've ever played.

Games today are too complex. They are supposed to be fun. not to make people crazy when they can't figure out a level. And the added stress of a 30 button controller.

Simple games are the best. Gimme a 4 direction control pad and 4 buttons. I'll be happy :)
  7. ATLPUNK246

Jun 26, 2001
    my little brother got one aswell and he really likes it. I've tried a few of the games and there pretty good.
    i'd recremend:
    dead to rights
    halo (controlls are pretty confusing though)
    terminator: dawn of fate
    those are all pretty fun. I don't play a whole lot of video games anymore but those are a few for this system that I was able to play for more than 10 with out saying this sucks. for me the origional nintendo will always be the greatest system ever made but xbox ain't that bad.
  8. I bought a Gamecube recently. I wish it was as hackable as the Xbox. :/
  9. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    lol i thought the same
  10. Halo is the only game I play. Nothing matches the intensity and involvement of some online halo games. Once Halo 2 comes out Ill actually invest in an X-Box.
  11. PeaveyTNT

PeaveyTNT Banned

Jul 21, 2002

your right... halo does suck... i have gotten the crap beat out of me many a time for saying that.
  12. [​IMG]

Its no Dave Costelo, but ya know :D
  13. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    I thought Outlaw Golf was pretty fun. For a shooter-type I liked Hunter: The Reckoning, and Max Payne.
    Of course, the only one I own is Project Gotham Racing, thanks to the PS2. :rolleyes:
  14. Macron69

Mar 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    The best games are the ones to come out now. like panzer dragoon, ninja gaiden, Steel Batallion, Splinter Cell. Heck, even games like MGS2 Substance and Phantasy Star online are worth the buy. Rumors say the xbox version of Soul Calibur2 is the best version and that it's already complete, just waiting for marketing!!!!

However, what i don't dig is that you have to shell $35 for the dvd kit. i think the price is too high.
  15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I have a ve a gamecube, that was my first next gen system
    I LOVE it
    my brother just got a PS2, I love it too.
    my friend has an xbox....yuck!
    granted he never got halo(his brother did but then moved) so I've never played halo(which is totally bogus because bungie WAS devloping it for mac os and was planning on porting it to windows and all that)
    at anyrate I don't like the xbox.

but I must say tetris is my favorite game.
    I have tetris plus for playstation
    its soooo much fun, I can always play it, no matter what mood I'm in.
  16. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA

THATS what i'm talking about. It's all about the rygar, the DeJevu (pissed the hell out of me) all the 3 mario games, even if 2 was kidna weird.... AND CONTRA! GOD CONTRA! Even metriod. but rygar was my game. metal gear... i could never get into ,,, KUNG FU WAS AWESOME! WHA! WHA! .......Ok.... sorry....
  17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

DHC... where is this from and why is it so funny?! :D
  18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I decided to get an Xbox rather than upgrade my PC. My wife said OK because it doubles as a DVD player (which we did not own).

No game could live up to the hype that Halo got, but if you ignore the hype, it's a damn good FPS. Here's my breakdown:

Storyline: C+
    Controller: C- (mouse+keyboard beats gamepad every time)
    Graphics: A+
    Level design: C+ for indoor levels, A+ for outdoor levels
    Enemy/friendly AI: B+
    Voice acting: A-
    Vehicles and weapons: A+
    Bad guys: B+ (A+ for the flood)

I've also got Madden 2003 and Oddworld: Munch's Odyssee, both of which kinda cool. However the best Xbox games are just coming out now, e.g. a new version of Unreal, Tom Clancy Splinter Cell, Tom Clancy Ghost Recon, a new Baldur's Gate action game.

When I bought mine, there was a promotion (might still be on) that if you bought an Xbox and DVD remote at the same time, you'd get a mail-in rebate for the cost of the remote.