XDS-Plus vs XDR...?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassman515, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I am thinking about picking up one of the wireless units, and i wondered if there is any real advanatage of one or the other? I know the differance in price is only about $75 so that really is not an issue. Thoughts? Also, what is the deal with the cable that I have seen so much about? I know many people go with the Bayou cable...why?

Thanks!
    Jeremy

2. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    The cheap metal jack housing on my Line6 cable snapped first gig.

I went with a Bayou and had no futher problems. Took a couple months to get the cable though from Bayou.

3. ic...I noticed that there is an "premium" cable available...is it any worse than the bayou?
    Which unit do you have?

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I had hte plus. Do not have it now. No longer doing gigs that really warrant it so went 'small' with gear.

5. Got it. I do not play big places, it is more a matter of not tripping on my cable and having it right on my board or in my rack...i have never ran out of cable, but have unpluged it a cpl of times lol

6. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I used to have the small XDS and now I have the XDS-Plus, but haven't used the rack version. Between the two I had I really prefer the Plus. It's a little larger but the range is better, you get Better Metering in the unit + battery life indicator in the bodypack AND receiver. Sound-Quality is better than the regular XDS and has worked perfectly for me.

If you use racks then get the rack version. I have everything but my amp on my pedalboard so I went for the Plus. It sits in my pedalboard and doesn't take that much space.

All 3 units we're on Sale in MF, so check them out.
    No matter what you get, definately get a better cable from Bayou Cables, the stock ones are complete crap.

7. I have my head in a rack, and there is not room for anything else unless i use the larger rack i have. What do you like better in terms of sound between the two pedalboard units? I noticed a little distortion when i tried the regular XDS...
    Thanks!

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I had not problems with the regular XDS. i sold it because I still had my Shure ULXS and I decided to keep the Shure just because it had never failed me.

The PLUS I think has more benefits in terms of better range, size and all-around features. it is suppossed to be the exact same as the rack unit but in a more compact size and with Dual-Diversity (i think the rack has Quad-Diversity).

I'm pretty happy with the XDS-Plus, batteries do go quicker than with the XDS, but I think it's a small price to pay for great sound in a small enclosure.

9. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Plus has two receivers, so essentially is doubling your chances of things working.

10. Got it...
    So how do you guys feel about the Bayou cables vs the premium cable that you can get though X2? I think it is $45 or so though MF or GC...

11. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Bayous is excellent and less expensive.

12. IC

13. One other thought....any reason why i could not get the parts and make one of those cables myself???

14. I have a regular XDS ... almost went for the Plus but was worried I'd stomp on the antennaes. The range is awesome. I can walk upstairs where we practice, grab a drink, and still play :) Never had any problems in any venues. I disagree with the statement that the Plus sounds "better." They all sound the same. Which is perfect.

My receiver is on my pedalboard and runs off DC so I only have one battery to worry about.

15. IC....i wondered about that...i assumed that the main advanatage to the others was the lower probability of dropouts

16. well, i just picked up the XDS-plus...i will let you know after rehersal and my gig this weekend!!!

J

17. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You'll love it.
    Congrats!

18. Well...after using it today at practice, i could tell a difference between it and the cable...it was not much, but the cable seemed to have a little more oomph and clarity...cant discribe it anybetter than that...it just cut more with the cable...I ABd it and the blind ABd it with my guitarist and he could tell the difference too and told me which was which without seeing it...I am using the stock cable with the unit...how much TONAL difference is there with the Bayou??? Or even if i bought the parts and made my own??

THanks!
    J

19. Well i just made my own cable so lets see what happens

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 16, 2021