Xenocoder? Rick 4001 copy (w/ pics)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bass V, Oct 14, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    this is available locally for just under $400, more than I'll spend on it but may toss out an offer should the responses here provide positive experiences with this make / model which seems to be completely off google and TB's radar. what's the scoop on these?
    it looks well enuf made to enjoy, I've always admired the styling and kinda pined for a real one, has an ebony board, a Duncan in the mid, decent cond., but don't want to bug the seller yet. is it worth considering?

upload_2017-10-13_20-55-15.png

upload_2017-10-13_20-56-18.png

upload_2017-10-13_20-56-39.png

2. These are brought into Canada under the brand name "Logical" and sell for $675.00 new which is high for what they are.

Don't expect these to sound like a RIC and remember you get what you pay for.

TD

3. Very similar to the Rockinbetter here in the UK.

Bass V likes this.
  4. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's the name I was looking for, thanx! I knew somebody would have info on these here and found some encouraging words on their basic quality.
    Tokai Rockinbetter 4

5. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's true overall, but there are the rare exceptions ...said the Toby fanatic!
    I'm interested in the build quality and merely like the looks, so far it's keeping my eye and in no way expect these to mimic the real deal, but it could be fun and if need be a worthy project just as a cool bass in waiting. a tortoise shell pickguard could be all it needs! :D
    if it's potentially equal to what's in these videos then I'd be pretty happy...

6. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    No idea on the bass, just saying "Xenocoder" is one helluva cool name. Very geeky. :cool:

Bass V likes this.
  7. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

The pickups are in the wrong places.

8. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    that's ok too, they might even be better, but I'm a mudbucker fan so that's always an option for me, and these sound fine in the videos.

9. Korladis

Korladis Inactive

Eh, to me that's a dealbreaker. If it's trying to be a budget Rickenbacker, the pickup location is the most important thing to get right. For me.

10. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I get that, I'm not expecting a Rick, but a damn nice bass could come of it. that signature PU cover would be the 1st thing to go, always hated that obtuse aspect of those, but the general look is cool and who knows it might end up pretty sweet.

Sartori likes this.
  11. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    aaaaaaaaaaaand, it's been sold. I may search for another at a better price.
    thanx for the input!

12. CBRXJ

CBRXJ

Jul 31, 2010
    Apple Valley Ca.
    Why is it that the older Ric fakes looked more like the real thing back in the late 70's early 80's...now they have CNC machines and look ..well ...like dookie.

Gluvhand likes this.
  13. Bass V

Bass V

Dec 11, 2008
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    they ain't trying, if they did they'd cost too much and too few would buy them as fakes.

14. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Not really, the "Xenocoder" is a set neck, where even the latest "Rockinbetter" basses I've seen over here are through neck only.

The only set necks I've seen are from China on Aliexpress and the like.

15. mp40smg

mp40smg Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2010
    Worcester, Ma.
    $675 seems like a lot of money to me. For that kind of price, there are a lot of name brands with warranty and infrastructure to back it up. Or for a little more a real used Rick. At least if you go real then you have a good chance to sell it for (close to) what you bought it for.

16. $675 is a lot for that when I bought 3 modern ricks off Craigslist in the last 6 months for $1000 each, one didn't have a case, one did but was beat, and one was minty with all original case and accessories.

bobyoung53 likes this.
  17. Skybone

Skybone

Jun 20, 2016
    Scotland
    Meanwhile, outside North America, the prices of new & second hand Rickenbackers have skyrocketed.

18. Axstar

Axstar Inactive

Jul 8, 2016
    Scotland.
    That isn't a Rockinbetter, but a generic 4003 copy you could buy for half of the asking price via one of the big Chinese online stores. The bridge pickup is too close to the bridge and the body has a weird top carve that the Chinese builders implement. The heel is also massive.

Rockinbetter had nothing to do with Tokai, either in Tokai's old 'lawsuit' iteration or the Epiphone-grade stuff they fire out today (which isn't as good).

Skybone likes this.
  19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021