1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLNT SUPER CHEAP bass overdrive

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by johnk_10, Oct 28, 2013.

1. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    JOYO-UD-01.

some of you are probably already familiar with this one, but after reading a lot of positive reviews of the Joyo Ultimate Drive pedal, and seeing its schematic based on a Fulltone OCD V4 (including the TL082 opamp with 2N7000 mosfet clipping), only with A LOT more low end, for $35 including free shipping, I thought that i'd take a chance with one. it arrived in a couple of days and I plugged it in. I didn't really expect much, since any version of an original OCD is just 'meh' to me, including my exact clone of an OCD a V1 that I then modded for use with a bass.

IMO, for bass, this pedal blows away the Fulltone, since it's more transparent and doesn't have any low end loss. it also has more gain than an OCD so it offers more distortion. anyway, if you an OCD, IMO, you'll really like the Ultimate Drive and it costs less than if you built one yourself.

anyway, I thought that i'd share this pedal with you guys.

ryan morris likes this.
  2. mordechai

mordechai

Dec 8, 2007
    Maine
    Is the the JF-02?

I play a PBass, EA IAMP600, fEARful 12/6, totally clean. I've been looking for a mild transparent overdrive to add a little bite and grit to a couple tunes we do that are a little more rock and roll. Think this is worth trying? If so my wallet thanks you.

3. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yep. the JF-02. it'll do lighter OD if you run the gain at the lower settings. I think that you'd dig it.
    at least I do. ;)

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Half tempted to get one. Maybe I'll put that on my wife's Christmas list.

5. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    IMO, they're actually pretty darn good. i'll post a short clip of it tomorrow.

6. I completely agree! The Joyo UD is a great OD pedal! I had an OCD v.1.4 and the UD was very comparable to it! But like you said, the bass was WAY more present!

7. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    yeah, I just A/B compared it to my modified OCD V1 clone (I added a lot more low end to the clone) and it sounds basically identical to it.

8. johnk_10

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    here's a quick clip of the Ultradrive. First part is bypassed followed by different degrees of gain. the tone knob was at 11:00 until the last part where I raised it to 2:00.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
    ryan morris likes this.
  9. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    That sounds great.

10. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Definitely going on the Christmas list.

11. DagoMaino

DagoMaino

Feb 1, 2013
    Now you tell me... (I just populated my OCD board last night)

12. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    Great to hear. My guitar player uses a Joyo Vintage Overdrive (TS copy), and it sounds quite good.

13. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    That sounds...really good. I'm so tempted to get an OD instead of a fuzz. Or worse yet, tempted to get both. =\ I don't want to have too many pedals! I already have three!

14. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    You have three pedals and none are an OD or fuzz? Well, that's not the OD or fuzz's fault. :p

15. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    I have OD and fuzz on my board. Two different tools for two different things.

16. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    I knowwwww I just want to keep pedals down to a minimum. Right now I have delay, phaser, and chorus. Well, since this OD is so inexpensive, maybe I can justify that and a fuzz/distortion...though I am powering all my pedals individually. Will quickly run out of space on the surge protector....not sure I want to go with a 1spot....

edit: My bass has active pickups. Think that could pose a problem for this Joyo Ultimate Drive? I know some pedals don't like active basses so much...

17. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Can't say I've ever had a problem with any dirt/fuzz pedal going back and forth from passive to active.

18. jumblemind

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-70cdr

There, I just took your three pedals down to one. Add OD and fuzz and you're back to even.

19. Sir Sly Ry

Sir Sly Ry

May 21, 2013
    Haha no, I like my Bass Boost Chorus tooooo much to get rid of it. Phase 100 is working out pretty well too. The delay is nothing special but right now I don't need it to be.

The only thing I'm worried about with this Ultimate Drive is durability. Are the switches and all going to keep working over time? Because that is one cheaply priced pedal.

20. MCS4

MCS4

Sep 26, 2012
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Never know until you try, but I've never noticed an issue with OCDs or the Fuzzrocious Demon. Overdrives and moderate distortions seem to have that issue much less than heavier distortions and fuzzes. I don't think I've ever had an overdrive give me an issue with my active basses, whereas fuzzes or heavy distortions have been 50/50 at best.