1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLR balanced cable between Pre- and Power-Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by KillerB, Sep 24, 2008.

1. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    Hi all,

Recently I'll bought a new instrument signal cable. I was supprised by the quality difference in tone.

My question is now. What wil be the result by replacing the short XLR cable between my Pre-amp and Power-amp for a good quality cable? (At the moment this is the most poor quality point in the total chain from Bass to Cabs.

I use a Epifani Quest II Pre-amp and a Lab Gruppen fp3400 Power Amp (2 x 1500 Watt/4Ohm) and Epifani cabs.

Any ideas or thoughts?

2. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    You must ask yourself (and answer them, of course) these questions:

What was defective about the previous instrument cable?

Is the existing pre-to-amp cable deficient?

3. jmac

jmac

May 23, 2007
    Horsham, Pa
    Oh no, here we go again. lol.

4. If its under 2-4ft long... uh not much. If you buy it and others can tell the difference then that was a crappy cable, if only you can tell the difference then either it was a really small change or something they call the placebo effect.

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    If you're running passive pickups and your old cable was cheap, with high capacitance, you'd notice a difference, especially in the high frequencies. With actives the old cable would have to have been totally defective to affect tone.

Probably none, a low impedance output into a high impedance input at line level is not affected by capacitance unless it's extremely severe.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1
    I would only bother replacing the existing cable if it is in fact damaged, ancient, or abused.

7. chadds

chadds

Mar 18, 2000
    I work for that company! The Placebo Effect Co. out of Illinois. I resent the constant references to us. Why? No one says anything nice. We have patents and are doing well but would do a lot better if you all would refer to us with the worship you apply to other brands.

8. Praise be to Placebo. Holy Christ, my amp is on fire. ;)

9. KillerB

KillerB

Nov 16, 2006
    Netherlands
    I'm not surprised that replacing the XLR cable between Pre- and power amp, wil not make a huge difference, but I'm looking for the best tone quality result from my equipment as possible.

In my home audio set the link cable between the CD player and Amp was changed with a top quality cable (one feet). Result was a lot more definition in tone. Can you aspect the same in this bas stag? Is there a technical argument?

I'll will change the cable any way. For me it make no sense to spend a lot of money in a strong Power-Amp en have in front of it a poor quality cable.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That result would indicate that either the original cable was defective or that you succumbed to placebo effect. Probably the latter. For an interconnect cable only a foot long to be so poor that replacing it had an audible effect is almost inconceivable.

11. No, these are usually religious arguments.:rolleyes:

12. Rick Auricchio

Rick Auricchio Registered Bass Offender

In many cases, simply removing and replacing a cable cleans the connectors. People attribute the improved sound to the cable, when, in fact, the cleaning effect was responsible.

Feel free to replace the cable on your rig. You'll learn that the room itself will have a far larger effect on your bass tone than anything you can buy.