1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLR input on Carvin Amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Das Jugghead, Mar 29, 2018.

1. First off if this is in the wrong forum I apologize and ask the moderators to move it to the correct forum. I bought a Carvin power amp and am disappointed that the XLR input jack does not have the locking push lever that keeps the XLR connector from backing out during live use. Here is a picture of the jack.

IMG_7980.jpg

And here is a picture of the locking push lever of which I speak:

Neutrik NC3FDL-1 Female XLR Panel Connector

Does anyone know of a source where I can get the locking push lever without having to purchase and install the entire XLR input jack?

2. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Maybe it's integral to the XLR connector? None of mine lock either. Only the outputs with the gizmo on the cable end.

Das Hoorsierin!

Das Jugghead likes this.
  3. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    Not a big deal. The way those jacks are constructed, if it gets pulled out it's probably better than the alternative. They do not come out easily, which is what makes this version so popular.

Dominic DeCosa, JRA, Wisebass and 2 others like this.
  4. BadExample

BadExample

Jan 21, 2016
    Injiana
    Mine sure seem tight, but they haven't been pulled out and plugged in a bunch of times.

5. That was my initial thought as well. The preamp and the Carvin power amp both live in a rack case so it is unlikely the XLR cables would get pulled out. However the XLR cables are very loose in the XLR inputs which concerns me especially in live applications.

One quick additional question for the distinguished equine if I may - is there any difference between using XLR's and TRS 1/4" cables to connect between my preamp and my power amp? Both sets of 1/4" jacks on the units are TRS.

That link is what got me to wondering if it were possible to install the locking push tabs after the fact and where I might find just the tabs.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
  7. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    If they are very loose, they are probably not genuine Neutrik. Looking at your photo, this is in fact the case. You can't install latches on this jack.

IF your both TRS connections are line level and balanced, it is equivalent to the same XLR connections.

Das Jugghead likes this.
  8. Thank you for the feedback.

9. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

All things considered the easiest approach is just get a Neutrik jack for a few bucks and if you're uncomfortable soldering, you may have a friend who can solder.

10. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Except that it's a PCB mount jack, and many of these no-name jacks use different footprints.

11. Paulabass

Paulabass

Sep 18, 2017
    Forty years in the p.a. Business, and easily 100,000 connections, and I've never had one come out.
    Does it feel too loose?

12. Although the XLR connection into the Carvin power amp does not wiggle around in the input it does not have a secure fit feeling to it - not sure if that makes sense? It plugs in and unplugs with virtually no resistance.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  13. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Interesting. Good to know.

Time to break out the screw driver and take a look.

PCB mount does complicate the labor for the replacement.by the OP.

14. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Especially since there are no parts or support available in the event that it doesn't quite work out...

15. I had saved up for awhile to get this amp unbeknownst to me that Carvin was on the way out - otherwise I would have saved a little longer and gotten a Crown amp. Nothing quite like having an orphaned white elephant in your stable. The fact that there is no support does give me pause.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
    BadExample likes this.
  16. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    It may not be a problem to replace the connector. If you can’t get a replacement PCB mounted connector, wires can be run from the connector to the board.

On some amps, stress on the connector can cause the solder joint on the board to crack. Have wires running to the board can avoid this.

17. agedhorse

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Except that the jacks may be how the PCBbis mounted. I would recommend leaving it alone until there are problems that make it necessary. Creating a problem that doesn't exist right now is often what happens under these circumstances.

I might recommend using the TRS inputs rather than messing with the XLR jacks as well.

18. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2008
    Yes, if it works as is, leaving it alone is a lot easier. But there are always options should the connectors need to be changed..

19. I will try out the TRS jacks with a TRS cable and report back.

20. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 9, 2021