Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

xlr out from my bass to xlr in on pre-amp okay? Advice wanted...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sixontimber, Oct 23, 2003.

1. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Hello,

My bass has jack (unbalanced) and xlr (balanced) outputs. Would it be okay to go direct from my XLR out into an XLR in on a pre-amp such as the Millennia HV-3? IF not, why not and what are the options...?

Apologies if this is as basic as it gets, I've just never had an XLR out on a bass before.

Cheers,

Douglas.

2. XLR is just a balanced output, and yes, you can plug it straight into your preamp xlr.

This would get more attention in the amp forum!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. sixontimber

sixontimber

Aug 2, 2003
    scotland
    Thanks. I thought that, but wasn't sure if a pre-amp designed for microphone input could cope directly with the output of a bass.

Cheers,

Douglas.

4. I have a Millenia STT-1 orgin and it's a single version of your 8 channel. It sounds nice, clean and warm for bass, give it a try, you'll like it!

[​IMG]
    Treena

5. bad dog

bad dog

May 7, 2002
    Jim Thorpe, Pa.
    The only problem to watch out for is an impedance mismatch between the output of your bass and the input of the preamp.

Typically the output impedence of electric instrument pick-ups is very high and the balanced input impedence of a high quality channel is alot lower. A 1/4" DI input usually has a much higher input impedence that interacts better with the Hi-Z output source.

I guess an easy way to tell is if the signal sounds pinched and not quite full and open with this signal path ....... have you tried it yet??

Or you can check the impedence specs via the manufacturer's respective websites. If you email Millenia I'm sure John LaGrou or one of his staff would give you excellent advice.
    You definitely won't hurt the preamp.

What bass and pick-ups are we talking about here?

XLR balanced cables just give you better noise rejection capability that are only important for long cable runs. Otherwise they give you no advantage over unbalanced 1/4" cable on short cable runs.
    I hope this was helpful. Lemme know how it works out ...... you got me curious.

Good luck,
    Tony