XLR out to PA question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by LA, Nov 6, 2002.

1. LA

Oct 17, 2001
    What setting is the best for the bass signal to the PA: The XLR pre/eq or post eq? and why?
  2. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I don't think there is a "best" way, they are just two different options. I like to go post EQ/effects and try to match the sound we hear on stage with the sound the audience will hear. The same goes for vocal monitors, we want the whole sound, effects and all, in the monitors. Others prefer the dry bass signal to the desk so it's independent from what you do on stage, and the soundguy controls the FOH sound completely. If your amp is primarily used as a monitor on stage I'd try and make sure the feed to the PA is at least "pre main volume", so you can adjust your on-stage level independently.
  3. I'm going to try this thread out in Setup, it may be better suited there.
  4. and I shall shift this to Misc.... who'll probably move it to Amps..... ahh musical Threads! :p

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Each has their advantages:

I prefer pre-EQ for this reason:

Bass cabinets are designed to reproduce the sound of a bass guitar using a bass amp. It is certainly known that every maker has their own signature sound they color the tone a great deal.

You will EQ based on the sound you hear coming from those cabs.

PA speakers are designed more along the lines of an industrial strength stereo. They go for a fairly flat response over a huge range of frequencies.

So, it is very possible that you may be boosting or dropping certain bands to get a good sound in your bass cabs, but those same boosts or drops may create nasty swells or holes in the house send.

I say give the house as flat a signal as possible and allow them to EQ as the house mix needs. It creates the most flexibility.

Often in certain places, you have to compensate for resonate frequencies in the room, standing waves, or even frequency "black holes" in certain rooms. You shouldn't hinder the ability to do that.

6. Anders and Chas - good explanation of both sides!!!

Jazzx - just remember, that if you go pre (eq/master) send from your rig to the PA, you can adjust your tone and master however you wish for good stage monitoring without affecting the PA.

Some gain controls affect the XLR out even though you are using a pre-eq send arrangement, so beware. In other words, if you have the FOH mix dialed and you play with your gain, the PA will be affected.