1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xlr output signal too high - Mesa Big Block 750

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Horrors, Oct 2, 2017.

1. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    Hi !!! I own a big block 750 everything seem to work fine except for the Xlr output, signal is too high to be use, even with the Direct Output level to minimum ! Im not sure what can cause this ?

Thanks

2. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Too much hip thrust
    What are you trying to use it for?

3. Line level out, to mic level in, can cause this.
    Most mixers/PA systems should be able to handle both levels, either by a switch, a level control or by having dedicated inputs for mic level or line level.
    If all else fails, you can get an XLR line to mic attenuator.

I looked at the manual but it didn't list specs. So can't tell about XLR output levels.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2017
    Ewo and Munjibunga like this.
  4. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    Live show ! i play in a big festival in two month. Im still a noob, started playing 3 years ago and its my first ''real'' amp. I dont really want to use a DIbox, i wish i can use the simple setup possible.

5. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    Sound enginner have said that cause problem, never heard of Xlr line to mic attenuator sound like something i should try

6. Check with the sound guy about levels into his board first.
    I have trouble imagining a board that can't handle both.

Are you sure the sound guy knows what he's doing?
    The world is littered with people who fancy themselves as mixing engineers.
    In fact, truley good ones are hard to find.

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I just checked the docs. and the level control should be able to turn the output all the way down. This leads me to believe that you have a broken level control which can cause your symptoms.

Where are you located?

8. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    We own a old mixing console and i got the same peak problem, can i check the output voltage with a voltmeter or the resistance, maybe the line level control is broken ?

9. Good call! I assumed that he was getting some level control but not enough.
    That's why you get the big bucks! :thumbsup:

Horrors likes this.
  10. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    Quebec city, Canada
    Is something i can check with a ohmmeter ? level control is a variable resistance ?

11. See the Agedhorse post. He knows Mesa amps in his sleep.

12. If you can clip on to pins 2 and 3 and set the meter to the lowest AC scale you should be able to get a reading while playing. Check it with the control at both ends of the range and see if there is any difference in the voltage reading.

-edit-
    The above assumes that it can produce line level output.
    If it's mic level only you probably won't read anything on the meter.
    But having a control, at least suggests that it can adjust from line to mic.

Another way to test it might be to try it in a different mixer that can handle both mic and line inputs. Then set an audio level that you can see on the mixer and then adjust the XLR control and see if you get level changes out if the XLR.

13. Horrors

Horrors

Jun 13, 2016
    Thanks to both of you i will try that this week and keep you updated !!!!

14. Good luck.

15. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru..........

Apr 11, 2006
    And, if that's the case, any console should certainly be able to handle that.

16. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    The control ranges from mic to line.

If the control is broken, it's possible that there's more circuit gain present than necessary.

The test is to turn the level all the way down and the level should be very low to zero. If it remains very high, the control is damaged (or somebody got in there and "modified" it, then all bets are off).

Horrors, staccatogrowl and Munjibunga like this.