Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XLR Speaker Cable (3 pin) for Trace Elliot V6

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sincity, Feb 9, 2004.

1. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Can anyone direct me to where I can purchase this cable?

I am looking for a couple of them at 3 foot and 6 foot lengths.

Thank you

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    your local guitar shop should have these. If not, you cn order them off of Procables and sound. There is a banner ad circulating around this site at the top of your screen every so often.

3. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    Well, I wish it was that easy, my local guitar shops (GC & Sam Ash) do not have them and Procables only sells Female to Banana Plug cables.

I need a Female to 1/4 inch cable if I am not mistaken.

Unfortunatly, these are not easy to find.

4. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Do NOT use microphone cables for speaker cables. If you absolutely must have XLR speaker cables, call Monster Cable--they will custom make them. I know because I inquired about it for my Trace Elliot rigs (though I ended up sticking with 1/4" Monster 500's).

Speaker cables need to be UNshielded. Microphone cables need to be shielded. I forget exactly why this is true, but you should be able to find out prett easily.

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    UNshielded? Are you sure? Can someone say as to why, I'm curious now...

6. Shielded cable is for signals in the millivolts, like mics and instruments so that the cables won't pick up external noise. Amp outputs are several volts, so any noise they pick up will be well below their level. I personally don't see the use in an XLR speaker cable; it doesn't have any significantly more contact area than a 1/4" plug.

7. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    But there's nothing exactly wrong with a shielded speaker cable, right?

8. Most shields are referenced to ground like the negative lead of the speaker cable, but in most amps there is negative feedback employed to keep the output section high powered but stable that happens on the negative lead. If you establish a separate ground connection between speaker and amp, there's a strong possibility it will set up an oscillation and damage the amp.

9. sincity

sincity

Oct 16, 2002
    Connecticut
    That's an interesting thought. Alternatively, could I replace the XLR speaker output on the back of my V6 with a Speakon connector?

10. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    OK, I did some refresher reading. There are two problems with using shielded cable. The first is a practical matter. The XLR microphone cables that are generally available are designed to handle very small signal levels, and use proportionately smaller gauge wires. Smaller gauge wire=more inductance=power dissipation in the cable rather than in the loudspeaker!

The actual problem with the shield is that shielding a speaker cable, which unlike small signal cables (like the commonly available instrument and microphone cables), large signal cables are designed to transmit relatively large voltages and currents. Shielding a cable of this type causes the capacitance in the cable to increase dramatically, and the increase is proportional to length. Essentially, this means your cable is now one big capacitor. This not only degrades your signal, but can blow your amp.

For these reasons, speaker cable wants to be short, fat, and unshielded.

I would be wary of modifying your amp, even with something as seemingly innocuous as a Neutrik SpeakOn. Trace Elliot V-Type amps are pretty rare items. Besides, unless your're good with a soldering iron (and feel like bothering), you can probably get a couple of custom Monster cables for a similar price.