1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLR splitter question

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by wolffire99, Oct 16, 2013.

1. wolffire99

wolffire99 Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2013
    St. Louis
    I understand the impedance problems with basic Y splitters for active lines, but what about passive outputs?

My situation: We want to run a monitor line to a mixer for the drummer to plug his earphones in to but we're one output short. Can I split the passive output cable going to the powered floor monitor with a Y splitter to run a line to the drummer's headphone mixer without affecting the floor monitor?

2. Nagrom

Nagrom

Mar 21, 2004
    Western Canada
    Doesn't the monitor have a 'thru' patch?

3. Yes, it's a line level feed, and it shouldn't affect the powered monitor.

EDIT:
    ^^^ This, use the thru/out.

4. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    No trouble. Most modern electronic bits can drive a number of devices with little or no reduction in capability. Mics can drive several consoles with no problems.

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Err... When have you run a single mic through a passive splitter into "several" different mixers? Did you mean to say "mic PREAMPS" can drive multiple devices?

6. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    To the OP:
    I think I understand what you mean, but just for clarity's sake, the monitor output is not passive, it is just unpowered. The reason what you want to do WILL work is because that output is active, has low output impedance, and will not be noticeably affected by splitting to both a monitor and a headphone amp. Both devices will work just fine.

7. TimmyP

TimmyP

Nov 4, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    Owing to the signal level of a mic, yes, it would be a mic preamp.

A preamp can feed a number of line inputs with no trouble.

http://padrick.net/LiveSound/Interfacing.htm

8. uhdinator

uhdinator

Apr 20, 2010
    Maine
    Get a headphone amp or small mixer with balanced line input ability and patch an XLR to TRS from the powered monitor thru/output jack to a line in (not a mixer XLR mic input) Done

(Small mixer may work better as you would have some EQ ability if needed and could also use second channel to patch off of FOH mix the same way and blend them if desired by patching from a FOH powered cab or from an amps parallel line out.)

9. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    all the time, a plain ol' SM58 into a splitter cable will drive two mixers easily.