Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XLR to 1/4 inch

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Davidoc, Dec 30, 2002.

1. My band has 6 drum mikes and a vocal mike, and XLR cables for each. The problem is, we need 1/4 (mono) to record, and converters are way too expensive (it would cost us $80!) We found some 1/4 inch plugs for a few dollars though.

The question is: how do you wire them?

I also need to know which prongs on the XLR are what.

I was thinking you take singal one and put it to the tip, and take singnal two and ground to the sleave. (defeating the balancing part of the signal) Does that sound right?

How do i do this? Thanks

2. Stupidnick

Stupidnick

Mar 22, 2002
    ...my room...
    www.musiciansfriend.com

they have cables.. that are xlr on one end and the other is 1/4th.. i have the same problem.. im using a tascam porta studio 4 track..they are anywhere from 10 to 20 bucks.. depending on the length.. good luck..
    btw i just bought a cobalt co4 instrument mic and got it in today.. wowzers.. its good..=D i use it for vocals mainly.. good luck man

3. Good idea, but replacing existing cables doesn't seem all that cost efficient.

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

But if you rewire all of your existing cables, you wind up with a poorer connection if you use them with a PA.

5. I looked on google (like I should have before posting this) and got my answer; I was right about defeating the other part of the signal.

Thanks for the stabs at it though!

Oh, btw, we're running maybe 20 feet at most; not enough for unbalancing to make that much of a difference.

6. I'm a little nervous about doing this because I'm not absolutely positive.

Is this how you do it?

connect prongs 1 and 3 to the sleave, and connect prong 2 to the tip.

Is there anything else I need to do?

7. Bumpsikles!

Actually we're recording tomorow, and I sorta need an answer, so I'm bumping!!!

8. embellisher

Buy replacement cables and you will then have both types of cables for all of your mics.

9. Eh, we're just gonna buy the converters after all. I was warned at the Carvin board about a signal loss when doing the conversion without a transformer.

$70 divided 5 ways isn't too much anyways.

10. embellisher

Good choice. Just make sure you keep up with them. They are small and easy to misplace.