Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XL's you don't see that often.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by SGT. Pepper, Jan 29, 2006.

1. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    You don't see this particular guage of Xl's that much. Accoriding to the guage chart, they are almost balanced perfectly. You would think that more people would like these. I think Im going to give them a shot!

[​IMG]

2. I used to use those gauges when I was using Carvins. Set 4011.

:bassist:

3. I used the D'Addario XL 40 - 100s for maybe 3 years, back in the day when I first started playing. Good strings - great feel and they sound pretty good, too. I then swtiched to Blue Steels in the same gauge for a couple of years. I finally went to DR Low Riders in that guage for a bit but wound up stepping up to 45 - 105s on most of my basses. I've now been using the DRs for 15 years. They sound awesome and last a good long time and the tension is perfect for me.

4. lomer

lomer

Mar 20, 2005
    Perth, Australia
    I've used the Rotosound version of these strings very nice.... SM66M's I think.....

5. I would still be using that gauge, 'cept I'm in the middle of a gauge/tension experiment.

:ninja:

6. Aaron J

Aaron J

Jul 16, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    I was using those gauges for awhile. I liked the feel, but I didn't like the fact that I had to EQ them a little more to achieve the sound I wanted. Good luck with 'em.

7. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    I don't really get into the tension charts and whatnot. I play 40-105's, so the D and G are a little lighter for popping, but the E's got some stiffness. I may try that set next time though.

I believe they also have a super light set thats 35 or 30-95'sih.

8. amper

amper

Dec 4, 2002
    US
    Balanced tension does not necessarily mean balanced sound. But .040/.060/.080/.100 should sound good.

9. I play D'Addario Pro Steels now. I have to order them in single strings: B .145, E .120 (they didn't have .125), A .105, D .095. I ran them through rehearsal last night and DAMN they're stiff. My hand got tired very quickly and very frequently. I'll be able to crush beer bottles with my bare hand in no time!

The funny thing is that I'm 5'1" and under 95 pounds. :D I love shattering stereotypes for my size and gender!

10. LiamCohl

LiamCohl

Jan 29, 2005
    Toronto, ON
    wow, I use a 0.95 E on most of my basses, I have been using the super light xl's on a 35 inch scale fretless 5 for a while now and they work amazingly, sound great and feel better, and they are cheap! I use the 0.35-0.95's with a 1.25 b string