1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XLT410 vs. HS410

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by maurilio, Jul 24, 2007.

1. maurilio

maurilio Musician - Owner Mo's Shop & MBD - Tech Nordstrand Commercial User

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Hi guys,
    I know the Bergantino HS410 is a new entry, so not a lot of people had the opportunity to try it, but I was wondering how these two compare sound wise:

Eden XLT410 and Berg HS410

Ideas?

Thanks

M

2. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

Bump!

3. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    yeah, let's rebump this.

M

4. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    ... and rebump...

M

5. murphy

murphy

May 5, 2004
    Toronto, Canada
    They do not sound anything like each other.
    The XLT has a huge bottom end and less piercing highs.
    The Berg sounds more midrangey with a much sharper high end

6. The HS410 has a loud but clear & focused bottom end and is fairly full and balanced throughout the frequency range. Compared to the XLT it is more articulate, quicker and sweeter overall and does this very efficiently. The XLT IMHO has too much low mids jumping out of the cab, very un-natural highs and is a pain in the a%* to lug around especially at 98lbs & 18.5" depth compared to the HS410 85lbs 15.5" depth.
    cheers'

7. BUMP ! for an interesting comparison.

8. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Nobody else tried a HS410? No other opinions?

I'm really interested...

M

9. nemo

nemo

Mar 19, 2004
    Czech
    Sorry, but I actually have the HS410 for about a week and I would not describe its highs as piercing in a wildest dreams. The highs are sweet (with tweeter knob at neutral position) low lows are more than sufficient and focused and low mids are chocolate like :cool: Overally it has balanced, full and articulate sound with controlled highs.
    Before this I have used the EBS410 cab and I missed the lows (it ended at 75 Hz) and the highs were much sharper than highs on the berg. It was heavier too with no casters.

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I think Bass Clef got it right. :cool:

Tom.

11. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    This is my situation:
    most of the stages I play on are small and I have to stand very close to the cab. In this way I hear lots of lows and little definition. I tend to cut the extreme lows on my WT550 sending a somewhat thinner signal to the PA. I bought a used SWR GIII that actually does a pretty good job. My band mates noticed it and around the stage sound punchy and defined. I used to own a XLT and i remember having a good cut through the band and not too deep and I was thinking that since it has more mids it might fit better.... still the XLT is big and heavy, so I was wondering how it compare to the Berg.....

Thank you to everyone...

M

12. You might want to try the newest version of the Schroeder 410L. It's a very punchy cab, with a ton of low end also. It's very thin like the Berg, but under 60 pounds. A little more refined to my ear than the wonderful Eden410XLT... but still very mid present for that 'burp' and punch to your tone. Very nice, loud, efficient cab... relatively even tone, but that little bit of low mid bump to really propel your sound through a mix.

It's a more 'rock' voiced cab to my ear than the Epi410UL, which is my personal favorite. However, for those looking for a more rock type punch at concert level volumes in a relatively small and lightweight box, this is the bomb IMO.

That being said, I really like the SWR GIII... one of my favorite 410's... crisp and punchy... just a little big and heavy for me at this point. I really like the GIII with the WT550... NICE tone, especailly is you have the 4ohm version. If the weight doesn't bother you... stick with it!!!!

The Berg cabs are not known for their mid punch... more open and smooth, but I have not played the HS410. I like the size of it, the weight puts it over my personal limit. I'm sure it would sound good though.

13. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Having heard the HS410, I would say that it has a 'strong, balanced midrange presence', versus any 'hump' here or there. Personally, I would call it a forceful, full, dynamic, articulate, 'punchy' cab - but in a balanced way. Others may define 'punchy' in such a way as to refer to a particular frequency peak/spike/bump, though, so keep that in mind (for instance, this last description might fit an Eden 410XLT).

As always, IME/IMHO, and YMMV.

14. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    Thanks guys!

I've tried the Schroeder and I was not too excited...I guess it's the Neo drivers!? I'd love to find a light cab, but, till now, all the Neo's I've tried didn't pleased me.
    Mine GIII is a 4ohms and it sounds pretty good with the 550.... I'll try a XLT and if not I can always resell it, right?

Later

M

15. yamaha

yamaha

Apr 7, 2006
    Montreal
    I just bought a HS410 and absolutely love it. I like it way better than the 210xlt I used to own. And dispersion is great. I can pretty much play right next to it, with it sitting on the floor, and me standing up, and hear absolutely everything.

As for highs, they are the sweetest I've heard from a tweetered cab.

16. Very cool! A Berg 410 is quite a step up from the 210XLT. I too love the near field tone of a big 410 cab. I never have trouble hearing mine, even when standing right on top of it.

Enjoy!

17. The Schro neo's sound quite similar to the ceramic models to my ear, so it's probably just the low mid voicing of that cab that's not doing it for you. I assume you've tried the new version of the Epi410UL also? That's REALLY light, and the Series II is quite even across the entire tone spectrum.

I think if I was OK carting around the 410XLT, I'd just go for the Berg myself!

18. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    It would be actually interesting to hear the 410UL II.... still, for ~$1G and the possible lost of money if I don't like it, both the Epi and the Berg really need to be heard/played!...

Since it's pretty much impossible to find used HS right now, I think I'll go with a used XLT.... damn it :smug:

M

19. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Run the G3 and the XLT together w/ your 550! :bassist:

I bet you'll hear it ok!

20. maurilio

May 25, 2003
    Redlands, CA
    :D I thought about that...... for a split second and.... too much work for a lazy a$$ like me :smug:

I have to find a used XLT first...

Later

M