XM Radio Questions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jul 26, 2004.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    How many of ya use XM radio? On my recent vacation, I rode with my friend a few times who has it in his Yukon. I fell in love with it after driving through the middle of nowhere in Idaho, and being able to listen to ESPN news, and some other cool music stations. In my ride, I was stuck listening to Mexican gospel music.

I own a 2001 Durango, so I will need to buy an aftermarket system. What do you all use? Can you buy one in-dash unit that will do AM/FM/XM and CD player? I saw some attachments to my current radio, but the wife doesn't want the big ackward looking box hanging on to the outside of our radio.

2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    With almost any XM system, you will need their base unit. You can have one that hooks into the antenna on your current system, making one frequency the XM input channel, basically. Those are the best if you don't want to modify you sound system. And their control unit is generally quite small. I installed one in my friends moms mustang, and it worked out well. Any way that you do it, you will need an XM box of some sort. Some stereos have an XM control unit in them, but you still need an xm tuner box, and antenna, but the controls are in the stereo itself. But then you need to install a whole new deck. And most often, you will want better than stock speakers, unless you already like their sound. There may be power handling issues as well. But those are the most common options.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I have Sirius, which is basically XM with a different brand label. I love it, and listen to it all the time. As far as I know, neither company offers a model that sits in your dash and has AM/FM radio or a CD player. Everything I've seen has the unit that attaches to the exterior of the dashboard and runs into the back of your current stereo. The unit seems bigger sitting in your hand than it does when you've got it installed in your car. I think it was a great investment... I say go for it.