1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XMas Campaign!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DivXovore, Dec 3, 2006.

1. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    Hi there!

The bandmates and me are seeking to buy a bass for our keyboardist (my cousin, actually :smug: ), who wants to start playing our thing. So, i propose you a game:

Name the most reliable, best sounding passive sub 500$ bass out there for a rock band :hyper: :bassist: . (And if you can, talk about it a little ^_^)

Exceptions: MIMs (here in Europe they cost a lot :meh: ), and SXs (they don´t get to Spain, although they have a spanish webpage :meh: ).

Three, two, one, go!

2. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    Check out the Yamaha BB415. Passive and about 450$ with the longtime pedigree of the BB-series. They don´t come much more reliable than that in that pricerange. And for rock: Michael Anthony (formely) of Van Halen has his own BB signature-bass. That´s rock in my book. I have a BB615 and i love it:
    Good balance, neck isn´t too thin and a great sound. You get a lot of options with a P/J pup-combination.

3. Damn!

I think Baa has hit a home run here. Seriously, I'm hard put to come up with a truly better solution given your parameters

I think that looking for basses with asian origins is what will keep the cost down. Funny that it costs more to ship east than it does west.:confused:

4. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    The BBs are high on the list, but we would like to know about alternatives to them.

By the way, i think transport from Asia to America is more expensive than to Europe due to the oceanic shipping.

5. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
  6. purfektstranger

purfektstranger

Apr 10, 2003
    Canada
    Yamaha BB series seems the logical choice. You have written off the MIM Fenders which leaves cheaper quality Ibanez models and whatever else is out there. Value for money get the Yamaha.

7. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    ...and the new Zodiacs from Peavey? the BXP, not the signature ones... they have been around for only one month or so, but... how about them? They have a couple good reviews (although i am more a Yamaha guy, and i myself am thinking about upgrade to the BB414 or the Zodiac...).

Wow, there is really not so many basses with those especifications as i thought :/

8. Baa

Baa Happy hobbyplayer

Jan 10, 2006
    stockholm, sweden
    It´s the word "reliable" that narrows it down. Most basses in this pricerange tend to vary in quality from one bass to the next. And that´s a problem when you order over the internet, right? But I never tried a zodiac, so i can´t say anything about them.

9. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    Exactly

10. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    If you had looked at MIM Fender's and thought they cost too much, why not look into the Squier Vintage Modified series? The fretted jazz bass was better than any MIM I've ever played, so don't count them out!

11. check out yamaha's in general

12. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hmm. normally i'd say "do a search" but the european constraints put upon the question are actually quite interesting, so i'd like to hear more info.

surely there are regional low-cost instruments in europe - let's see some names.

13. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Within Europe, England specifically, "vintage" basses are a decent brand for the buget buyer. That said, they sell directly from England so shipping one across to Spain would jack the price up. Perhaps the (internal) used market would be the place to look!

14. DivXovore

DivXovore

Mar 24, 2006
    Seville, Spain
    In fact, i did a search and came up with a bunch of well-known models, but i´d like to see some comments on them and see if someone would come out with a model i didn´t think about. I don´t post usually, as the forum level is usually far higher than mine, but i am a full time lurker, so sorry if i seemed to be too lazy to use the search engine ;)

By the way, here in Europe the instruments are more expensive than in America. For example, my second hand RBX270 cost me 170 euros (226 USD), when it costs 220-270 euros (293-360 USD) new. If you get lucky you can get a MIM for 500 euros, wich is 667 USD, and so on... and that is the situation in Spain. In northern countries, instruments are even more expensive.

As for the regional instruments... here in Spain we have the Sonora and Academy brands, wich make really, really, really crappy guitars and basses. Stagg wich is not spanish and i think is also known overseas has better quality, but keep being entry level instruments and not as good "test beds" as cheap but reliable instruments such as the Ibanez GSR200 or the Peavey Millenium BXP.

Plus, in Europe we only have two or three music megastores on all the continent, and we don´t have music shop franchises (at least, not in Spain) so we must rely on local shops to try before buying. I don´t know how it is on the rest of Europe but here in Spain you have a really hard time to find a shop with instruments that exceed the 700 euro price tag on stock. If you want, let´s say, a RBX John Myung signature, the shop must ask for it to the national dealer, and then, you MUST buy it (unless it is flawed, of course).

So, there you have my reasons (and my bandmate´s) to being fans of the non expensive, durable, reliable, worth gigging and hard working instruments. :rollno: ;)

PS.: my apologies for the long post and for the eventual grammatical mistakes.:D

15. Double Agent

Double Agent Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2006
    Lakeland, FL
    I found this to be true also. I didn't realize it was a Squire at first and expected it cost around $600, so I ws shocked to see it was only around $250. Definately worth considering from a tone perspective, but I can't speak for its reliability since they have only been a few months.