Xmas gift...1x15, or 1x12, or help with amp..Dr Bass??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by orskard, Nov 25, 2004.

1. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    My parents are being super generous and since my band is getting gigs they want to help me. I have bought all my gear, so this is strange and great they they are wanting to.

My gear.
    Peavey Mark IV 210 watts
    Fender P bass special

thats the info you need to know for this problem.

My parents where going to buy me a acoustic bass guitar, and i told them i would rather get help and make my amp better.

On the way, still waitng for the guy to get my mom, is a QSC PLX1202. I want to run it with a Tech 21 RBI. But in the mean time i can just use the peaveys pre amp.

Should i get them to help me buy the RBI off ebay and the rack? Or should i get them to go in on a cab with me? I have a 2x10 and i really want to get a 1x15 or maybe a 2x12. Im looking at avatar since i have one, they will stack nice. But Dr Bass has very nice stuff, same speakers but lighter and not the same box.

Im thinking that i can get the amp done by myself in the next month or so. So im thinking more about the cab. I would run it with my 2x10 so what should i get? a 15 or 12's? What company should i get?

I play in a rock n roll band, and i want a deep rich sound. so im thinking that the 15 will be great.

Any ideas?

thanks for your help.
  2. xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    I'd go with the avatar 212 since you already have one and for the fact that they'll stack nicley.

Also talk to figjam he has an avatar 212 and says it is awesome.
  3. I have the Avatar B115H. Incredible low end and good mid bass. It will shake the walls, LITERALLY
    Make a very good compliment with the 2 X 10 cab
  4. Yossarian

Jun 24, 2004
    the 212s from Avatar and Dr. Bass seem to be all the rage. I haven't heard anything bad about either one. I'd probably go Avatar though, just because having cabs that don't match would drive me crazy. If not for that, I'd go with the Dr. Bass.
  5. orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    but the doctors cab will be lighter, thats good thing when you carry your own gear, and you have two cabs to carry.
  6. ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    For the past 4 or 5 years most bands I have played with do not mic anything other than kick drum and vocals. So I always have to lug out either my GK 1001RBi or Ashdown ABM 500 with both SWR cabs, SOB 1X15 & 4x10 Goliath to run @ 4 ohms so as to push as much air as possible against at least 2 guitars and sometimes a keyboard. I keep seeing these threads asking about 2x10's, 2x12's etc. and I am envious of the fact that I guess they run you guys thru the board so all you need is a small setup. Though a couple weeks ago a tejano band called me to sit in and to my surprise they ran me a line out thru the house system and man what an awesome sound I had that nite, it raised my confidence level and I kicked ass that nite. But most of my other classic rock, blues gigs are at smaller venues and we run our instruments straight out, other than vocals and kick drum so I guess I only kick partial ass on those nites. So here I sit in envy when I see posts for 1x15's, 2x10's and 2x12's, though I guess the cabs you guys are asking about are able to push thru the mix that I usually have deal with so more power to you. Maybe one of these days the other bands will invest in a bigger PA system or do I need to rethink my cab brand configuration, SIGH. :meh: All my equipment is fairly new so I hope not.