1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xmax vs. Xlim

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JGR, Sep 3, 2008.

1. JGR

JGR The "G" is for Gustav Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 29, 2006
    Maryland
    President, CEO, CFO, CIO, Chief Engineer, Technician, Janitor - Reiner Amplification
    I was looking at some Eminence speaker parameters and noticed that some speakers have fairly low Xmax while their Xlim is very close to or greater than other speakers that have much higher Xmax - specifically the Delta 12 compared to the 2512.

Does this mean that one can drive the Delta 12 into distortion/compression sooner (which some folks may like the sound of) than a speaker with a higher Xmax, but do it safely as long as Xlim isn't exceeded?

This would be in an application where the enclosure is much smaller than optimum and dominates low end performance.

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    Xmax determines how much power a driver will take before distortion is excessive. Xlim determines how much it will take before physical damage occurs.
    The Delta 12 has insufficent xmax for electric bass use IMO.

3. the way i understad it, if you continue to go over the xmax rating, you will damage the speaker. xlim is the limit of movement before something hits (moving parts hit a stationary part, or the cones suspension section reaches its limit)

but bfm knows much more than i do.