Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Xmax??????

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ThunderStik, Sep 13, 2002.

1. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Is ther a way to tell how many watts a driver can can handle at a given frequency if the Xmax is known?

I have been getting ready to build a set of cabs for about a year and this is the one thing that is really troubling me. The driver im looking at has an Xmax of 6mm and will handle 400 watts but will it handle 400 watts at 40 hz or 35 hz or 80hz.

Thanks TS

2. Yes.

Robert Bullock's DOS Box Model program will show you cone excursion plotted by frequency for a given power input.

Link to DOS Box Model

The link below is on the DIY Subwoofer page.

Link to Ported Spreadsheet

This spread sheet lets you plug in the minimum required T/S parameters, a cabinet tuning, and power input. The Comparisions tab will show you the maximum amount of input power required to reach a specific cone excursion at a given frequency.

Remember that Xmax and Xmech are two different measurements. Xmax is the amount of *linear* voice coil travel while the coil is still uniformly controlled by the magnetic motor.

Xmech is the maximum cone excursion limits before mechanical damage occurs. I keep this information in my spread sheet below.

3. ThunderStik

ThunderStik Guest

Jun 25, 2001
    Claremore OK.
    Bruce,

Where do you input sensitivity in dosbox? Where do you get the frequency response plot? Im used to using WinIsd.

P.S. That is one helluva spredsheat you got there. How long has it taken to gather all that info. Im glad you did though.

Thanks TS