1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

XO BMS - Mini review

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rratajski, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I got my XO BMS from Steve at www.thevintagesound.com to replace my original BMS and free up some real estate on my board (getting ready for my new Loop-Master double effect switcher! -- www.loop-master.com)...

So, tone/sound-wise, here's how it stacks up: seamless. The sound is fully preserved and still has that warm, analog output. In combination with distortion (Vintage RAT), fuzz (Fuzzrocious GGG-tuned Big Muff), pitch shifting (Boss PS-3), and delay (Line6 DL4), everything sounds the way it's "supposed" to sound, except without major tone-sucking downfall that the original non-true bypass BMS was notorious for. +1 for TB.

The LED is a huge help. 'Nuff said.

The only problem I have is finding the exact settings I had on the old BMS. There are more lines on the new BMS, so I tried to match it up the old settings as best as I could. When I A/B'd the pedals, there was a difference in the sweep, so that will take some time to get used to...

So, no real problems. No real gripes. Worth the money. Now to sell off the old BMS...

Hope this helps everyone out!

2. Thanks dude. VERY helpful!

3. Chris Ramlar

Chris Ramlar

Feb 8, 2006
    Mexico
    I don't know what to say... thanks or shame on you =( u just brought GAS anyway its cool to know the sound is in that little box

4. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    You're welcome. Glad I could help!

5. There is a difference in sweep? Is the maximum rate longer/shorter in new BMS?:confused:

6. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY
    I'm buying one. Soon :)

7. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    No, no real difference in the sweep. The exact settings are hard to pinpoint since the sliders are shorter in length. So if you had something about 65% of the way up on your old BMS, it might be 62% on the new BMS. It just takes some tweaking!

8. OK, That makes sense. Thanks rratajski. I just sold my BMS and ordered XO. :bassist:

9. I might move my BMS on as well. The thing is currently broken for the third time. Its whole life has been one unreliable head ache after another for me. Sounds great, but a total POS IME.

Here is hoping I have better luck with the XO! :

10. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I heard that the power supply cannot be daisy chained... which, from my viewpoint, defeat the purpose of having a 9V power supply. :(

Can someone confirm that?

11. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    You can't daisy chain it, but if you use voodoo labs (or something equivalent) or your board has power, you can do that.

12. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    ...but it wouldn't be daisy chain.

13. Chronicle

Chronicle

Sep 13, 2006
    NY

Swift one, aren't ya? The BMS XO won't work on a daisy chain. We've said it at least 4 times.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ixnay on the oardbay owerpay. :p

Built-in power supplies are a no-no... practically all of them are electrically equivalent to daisy chains (in other words, no output isolation).

I have yet to see a pedalboard with a power supply that had isolated output jacks for pedals.

15. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    How does the BMS stack up as an sub octave/octave pedal?

16. rratajski

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    There's a suboctave slider and an octave slider.

You can choose how low and/or how high you want your accents and whether or not you want your dry sound mixed in or not...

As for stacking up, what are you stacking it against? Example(s)?

The only complaint most people have is that when the suboctave slider is dimed, notes start flubbing past your low D.

17. sk8

sk8

May 10, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I want a synth pedal so the BMS will fill that role but occaisonally i want an octave pedal. I was thinking about the Micro POG or similar but wondered whther the BMS is good enough to be used as just an octave pedal occaisionally as it would save me some money or should i consider an octave pedal too?

Thanks

18. I think BMS is too fuzzy for normal octaver sound. You can not get clean octave down out of it...

19. Doolz

Doolz

Oct 5, 2007
    GAS....

20. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    The oct. down on mine is clean - maybe you're overdriving it? Try adjusting the preamp trimpot.

The oct. up is gritty, but that's to be expected. The Micro POG will do a clean oct. up, but it's a bit digital-sounding, thin.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021