1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic Bass BB Preamp - Overdrive or Distortion?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    The Xotic BB Preamp is a distortion pedal for guitar reminiscent of Marshalls, I was wondering if the Bass version was the same pedal modded for more low-end, or a more tubescreamer/overdrive-based pedal like the AC Booster.

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The BB is a bass Tubescreamer clone.

3. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    Thanks, so it is an overdrive.

4. Mostly. But it can be a really crunchy, heavy overdrive. More gain on tap than most of the Tubescreamers I've tried. Holds to low end pretty well through most of its range too.

YMMV.

5. irvinz

irvinz

Nov 23, 2006
    Australia
    has too much gas
    cant be bothered typing out a whole review on it this late at night.... but get it. u wont regret it =p altho i wish i bought mine, and didnt trade my cream pie for it =p

6. i2k

i2k

Oct 31, 2000
    Indonesia
    BB is a TS clone with active tone control at the end. Most of the demo on Xotic site run this pedal along with their X Blender pedal, I wonder if this pedal sounds well alone ?

7. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    i.e. its not like a tubescreamer! ;)

the AC booster is more tubescreamer like in terms of gain. the BB has waay more gain on tap, and i'd put it in the distortion catagory.

love my BB bass.

8. At low gain settings will the BB add some overdrive like compression? I've been using my guitar players Dano Daddy-o as an always on pedal at practice lately. I pretty much only turn it off for more ballad like songs. Its adds a lot of punch and sustain but colors my tone a bit and the eq isn't particularly useful on bass. Does it sound like the BB can do the job of the Dano more effectively?

BTW, when I say "colors" my tone I mean, I wanna really hear the difference between different bass'.

9. Chalotrejo

Chalotrejo

Feb 28, 2013
    The bass version it's supposed to be some kind of "Overdriven Ampeg SVT" in a box, am I right?. So do a lot of other overdrive/preamp pedals. There's a lot of love for it.

10. waveman

waveman

Sep 25, 2008
    It has quite a bit of gain on tap if needed. Not as much as something rat inspired, but still enough to say it can go into distortion territory.

11. geolikezik

geolikezik

Mar 13, 2016
    Switzerland
    I read that apart from the price, the Xotic Bass BB Preamp and the TCE MojoMojo are very similar, can someone kindly comment on that?