1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic Bass RC Booster vs Sonic Stomp vs. Aural Xciter

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by kenfreshmeadows, Apr 25, 2010.

1. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    I was looking for a pedal to leave on all the time to improve my tone.

I have used the Sonic Stomp and Aural Xciter and i think they are both good at making your tone bigger/fuller/clearer sounding.

So will the RC do a similar job as those other 2 pedals but just better?

Also i noticed many people love the RC for a passive bass. How about for an active is it still that great?

2. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well in my experience, the RC is THE best bass booster pedal for passive basses. It is so clean and transparent, but makes you bass sound exactly the same, but with more output, power, punch and adds a certain "sparkle" to the sound. The EQ is also great, very clean treble and the Bass is very useful for "cutting" low end, IMO, since it sits at 80hz. I swear by it on all my passive basses. It is ALWAYS ON in my pedalboard.

I think it could work great on active basses but I have no experience, since I only use passive basses.

The Sonic Stomp is a pedal version of the Sonic Maximizer and while I used to have one (in my old BBE BMAX preamp), after I kept getting better gear, I felt I really didn't need the BBE anymore.

Try to do some searches on the RC, I really can't tell you how much I love it on passive basses, but if you play actives, then wait for some more info from other members.

3. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I think it's important to first diagnose what you feel you tone needs 'improvement' wise first. Then find a solution. Otherwise you're just throwing darts blindfolded hoping for a bulleye.

4. kenfreshmeadows

kenfreshmeadows

May 25, 2009
    Well i stated in the original post bigger/fuller/clearer sounding.

I use the Sonic Stomp and it makes the bass have some more lows clarity and punch to it sounds bassier without being muffled at all

So was wondering if the RC does basically the same thing but does a superior job at it.

5. loopee

loopee Supporting Member

May 12, 2009
    Surrey, B.C. Canada
    I know this thread has been dormant but I've been wondering about this BBE Sonic Stomp also....I have an Aphex Bass Exciter but half of it quit working a few years ago (only the big bottom works on it now) so I quit using it...I used to use it (together with the BDDI) when I plugged into the mixing board for rehearsals - we rehearsed with headphones so I didn't need my amp.....since then I've gotten a much better rig (Markbass & AudioKinesis cabs) and I've added an Empress Comp and an Xotic BB preamp along with my BDDI and it sounds fantastic but when I play my passive basses I need more so I was thinking of a Stellartone Tonestyler but maybe I should just get another Aphex or maybe a BBE Sonic Stomp instead but that's a lot of EQ on a board (maybe too much) so the Tonestyler might be best.....any opinions?

6. Winemule

Winemule Guest

Feb 27, 2005
    FWIW, I used a sonic stomp pedal on tube amps for years and thought it brought out a little more clarity and punch. When I switched over to a Shuttle 6.0, I put the BBE away. Took it out again just today and the Shuttle doesn't seem to like it at all.