1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by T-MOST, Nov 12, 2010.

1. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    http://www.xotic.us/guitars/ Check out the demos fron John Pena. Also click on the picture of the vintage white XJ-1T bass for another sizzling demo.

These basses sound incredible and go for $2600.00 for a 5 string model and $2400.00 for a 4 string model. Right in line $$$ with Nordy's or Valenti's, Low Ends and Mike Lulls to name a few. I'm in the market for a new J5 and this Xotic is a strong contender! :bassist:
    Does anyone here have any personal experience with Xotics?

2. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    Heh. "Only". The most expensive bass I own, I bought for €250,-, and I could not afford much more than that. Guess we're in totally different places in life :D

3. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC

Ok, point taken $2400 - $2600 is a lot of ca$$h. But, back to the fun part... ;)

4. Rush-2112

Rush-2112

Dec 14, 2008
    New York City
    No experience whatsoever, way too expensive for me at the moment. But I do love how sweet they sound! I find myself coming back to this YouTube clip time and time again:

Ric Fierabracci is such an amazing player...love his tone on the Xotic. Brett and Joel also sound great. I just love every element of the video.

5. I don't own one, but I played one at a bass only store a few months back.

Look: super cool
    Feel: Very nice
    sound/tone: tasty, and very versatile
    weight: boat anchor (too much for me at least, being used to a sub 9lbs, I'd estimate the one I played in the 12 lb range easily)
    Price: eh. It's a bit steep for an "up and comer". $ for $, I'd do a Sadowsky metro, Lull, Valenti, Nordstrand or the likes.

Like I said, it was a versatile bass, but with the odd shaped pickups and routes, you're "stuck" with what you have. No drop in replacements for the pups and such.

Overall: great playing/sounding/looking bass for a little too much cash and weight. (all IMO of course :D )

6. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
  7. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a 4 and 5 string Xotic J bass. The 4 has an ash body and a maple fb. And the 5 has an alder body with a rw fb.

All I'm going to say is that they are extremely versatile and a great combination of old school meets new school.

I'm an Xotic endorser.

8. Jesus the B string in that video sound insane.

9. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    From what I can tell the price tag looks warranted (just as much as any other). I mean compared to Nordy's, Valenti and Lulls Xotic doesn't look like it's lacking in any way. Something about them attracts me unlike the others mentioned. As for Sadowsky Metros... well I just sold one off (thats all I'll say). Also, I'm not into the changing things out on a brand new instrument. So, there wont be any issue with that. With That I'll say Xotic is Still a forerunner in this race.

10. YCBass

YCBass Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2007
    SoCal
    I played the 5 string this past winter NAMM and liked it very much. Great basses!

11. bass_snake

bass_snake Banned

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Are they the same par as Skjold basses?

12. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

They're more in the zone of Lakland JO, Lakland DJ, Sadowsky NYC, LEJ, Nordy, Fender CS, Fodera NYC, Valenti, Mike Lull, Fender pre CBS, Wilkins, Moon J bass, Celinder vintage/Celinder classic.

13. harrybosch

harrybosch Banned

Aug 18, 2008
    I've played them. They are very cool and sound/play great. Xotic is not an up and comer company as was mentioned earlier. They've been around quite awhile, longer than Nordstrand and several of the others. Not really sure why Valenti's are even mentioned, as they are not even in the same class as the others. Metro's, I'll just say I don't get the love. The NYC Sad's are great instruments, though. The Xotic's have a very nice blend of vintage meets modern, not 100% of either but close enough to both that they can fit in most any situation.

14. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Why do you say this?

Sound is subjective but I have played a few Valenti basses and I felt that they were of a quality that I respect. Just because Velenti isn't talked about all day on talkbass like a lot of other brands are does not take away what the brand is bringing to the table. I'm sure if Nino decided to go crazy with some mad marketing and at least one super profile player starts playing one of his basses, things would change big time for the Valenti brand.The attention to detail was spot on. And the ones that I played sound good.

15. davec

davec Supporting Member Commercial User

May 4, 2006
    bartlett illinois
    Owner; Cody Electric Basses
    I've checked out a few and would say there right there with any of the boutique super J's.
    There customer service is second to none, even to non/future customers.

12 lbs may be the heaviest Xotic ever made.... wow,
    great basses imo

16. harrybosch

harrybosch Banned

Aug 18, 2008
    I've played a few and that's just my opinion. Simple as that. I can go in depth of why I think this way but it will just cause an argument with no resolution. Valenti is not in the same league as Sadowsky, Nordstrand, and several others. You and others think differently. No big deal, let's move on with further Xotic discussion.

17. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.

Ok.

18. schmittzil

schmittzil

Nov 8, 2010
    I have played one of their XP series basses...Best bass I have ever touched...Though that doesn't say much..

19. T-MOST

T-MOST

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    Well, I pulled the trigger on a new Xotic today. I have a XJ-1T 5 string coming in vintage white with the vol/pan/tone instead off vol/vol/tone. I got a great deal thanks to a certain TB'er who hooked me up... Thanks!
    I should have it by Friday. After I workout with it this weekend I'll post about it.

I can't wait. :bassist:

20. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    Nice basses, congrats!