SOLD Xotic BB clone

Discussion in 'For Sale: Effects and Pedals' started by groovaholic, Apr 22, 2019.

Tags:
  1. groovaholic

groovaholic The louder the better. Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Price:
    E3BEFF69-524D-4DA0-8B5A-9EC753DCEA44.jpeg F2EED173-501D-46AC-ACD6-6FBE0EAB1906.jpeg A while back, I had the opportunity to check out the Xotic BB pedal, and compare it to the Bass BB.

I liked the tonality of the BB better (the bass version sounded a bit artificial to my ears, like it had clean and dirt running in parallel) but I appreciated the extra low-end of the Bass BB.

So when Aion Electronics introduced their BB-clone circuitboard, I looked at it as an opportunity to build a hybrid - a pedal with the tone of the BB, but with the additional lows of the Bass BB.

Looking at the schematics for both, there were only a few components changed, so I ordered the circuit boards, and built this pedal.

It’s a cool pedal with a great tone (Bryan Beller considers the BB to be his “secret weapon” - check out his work with the Aristocrats to hear it in action) but ultimately I have other drives I prefer.

True bypass, top mount controls, and built with good quality components: film caps, metal film resistors, etc.

PayPal accepted, shipping will depend on location

Attached Files:

2. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
  3. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    Offers welcomed, but I’m not far above cost of parts here...

4. BZadlo

BZadlo Supporting Member

Mar 4, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Does this have the same eq points as the BB Bass version?
    Can you dial in a clean tone with bass?

5. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    The EQ points are the same as the original BB, but the input cap is the same as the bass BB.

With gain down all the way, my active bass can still clip the pedal, but just barely...

Now that you mention it, I also subbed a 500k gain pot for the 1M used on the original in an effort to get more clean-ish tones.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2019
    BZadlo likes this.
  6. groovaholic

Sep 19, 2004
    Mount Prospect, IL
    And sold

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021