1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic EP Boost or Alternatives

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by JES, Jan 2, 2018.

1. JES

JES Supporting Member

I'm looking for a clean boost with just a bit of magic for a variety of uses. I loved the Xotic EP I tried, but for some reason, the true bypass "popped" a lot more than the true bypass on the BB Bass Pre (which I will pair it with, and which I own and love).

I'm wondering, for those who use true bypass boosts, does the "pop" pose an issue in a band context? Other than hitting it on the beat, any other tricks to mitigate it?

Alternatively, is there something like the EP Boost but with buffered bypass instead? It needs to be able to handle high output pickups (as in, having plenty of gain on tap).

I also tried at Phat Phuk but I found it was too dirty too quick with my high output MFD pickups.

TIA.

2. scubaduba

scubaduba Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Michigan
    I too love the sound of the EP Boost, but not the loud pop. I found it was an issue with the FOH setup I frequently have. After trying different pedals, I ended up buying a Hotone XTOMP pedal. Sweet emulator that you can load effects via Bluetooth from your phone using the XTOMP app. They have an emulator for the EP booster and you can choose true bypass OR buffered bypass. The latter has no pop. Check it out.

Xtomp ยป Hotone Audio

3. I have a Mosky Xp clone that sounds great and no pop.

4. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Chase tone secret preamp

5. JES

JES Supporting Member

After reading up on pops and true bypass, and realizing I have another Xotic pedal in my chain with no problem, I am leaning toward just getting the EP. I know it works. Digital modelling pedals are great, but I consistently find they don't quite have the right gain staging for this one bass, which I love, and which I don't always want to turn down. However, I'm going to investigate the Fifth Gear before I make my final decision.