1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic RC Booster - Baxandall Preamp?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Sep 29, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I read that their guitar pedals have an active baxandall preamp, is this true on the bass pedals too. If so, how does this compare to the Barber Linden EQ?

2. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Bump. I'd love to know this as well... It may be tough to determine as Xotic plasters their circuit boards with a black coating - you cannot easily identify the components!

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Someone with a pink-noise generator and a spectrum analyzer could find out without looking at the circuitboard, by seeing if the output matches typical Bax response. But I guess for most of us that does still fall under the heading of "tough to determine". :p

4. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    I'm prepared to do it! For a small fee......

5. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    I'm not sure if it's acceptable to post schematics or links to schematics of pedals here (?), but - the *AC* boost schematic does have a baxandall tone network, and word is that the *RC* circuit is very similar (and has the same tone network).

The Boss FA-1 also has the same tone network BTW,

6. IMO, not of current products without express permission.

7. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Been doing some net research.

From Gearpage.net (cannot verify validity or accuracy of poster, but it's still interesting:

"Here is the info you need to know from someone who actually has worked in the xotic guts (JHS from DMZ forum):

"The AC and RC and BB are basicly plain TS-808 copies with an added active baxandall tonestack.
    The AC and RC are absolute idenditical, ex. the no. off the cliping diodes in the FB-loop (to me it's a joke to sell 2 pedals, a simply switch for the diodes arrangement and 1 pedal would have been the better solution for the user).

The BB's front end is more similar to the reverend divetrain, ex. the tonestack, on the train it's passiv.
    Commen to all Xotic drives pedals is "bad filtered" Bias-divider (BTW: the OCD use the same divider and values) and a soft sounding I-buffer, so the sound is slightly more compressed on the AC and BB w less highs and a somewhat flabby bass when played on low volume. Played on it's own the sound is not so good, but they come alive as a low gain drives in front of a BF amp when played on stage levels. The RC has nearly zero compression due to the amount of diodes in the FB-level. I think a TS 808 on 8V w tone pot near zero and an simple EQ for treble and bass after the TS comes very close in tone to the AC and BB.

The white RC has 6 Diodes (>+>+>) in parallel w (<+<+<), the yellow AC has the stock TS-clipper, diodes are 914, 1S15888 or sim. The I-buffer work with 3V BIAS on the resistor, the rest w 4,5V, for a bit more headroom switch the 470k BIAS-R in the buffer to the normal 4,5V VREF.

The AC/RC is nothing but a downsized BB, basicly they are all TS, now you can guess what the Bass-vesions are."

Couple this info with a query I made directly to the folks at Xotic: I previously had an RC Booster (white pedal) and used it for bass for a little while. It worked well, but it would start to break up when turned up a little (not what I wanted from a clean boost!). I emailed Xotic about the difference between the White (gtr) and Black (bass) versions. They responded that the Bass version does indeed have more headroom as well as a different treble freq point for the eq. Otherwise, the same pedal...

8. afroman

afroman

Aug 31, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I don't know what the circuitry is on the RC Bass Booster, but I've owned it for about a month and I absolutely love it. It just makes my sound louder but also adding some "oomph" and power to the tone w/o changing or masking it at all. There'es just something about it that makes my passive basses growl and come alive.

I use it always ON along with my Demeter Compulator, I consider both part of my sound and I get constant compliments on my sound (rather be complimented on my chops:p).

I highly recommend it.

9. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I didn't even know I needed one until I watched this video:

I need one of these.

10. Yes, Steve. Yes you do.

You shall be assimilated.

11. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Why did you have to post that? Now I need one too :( :p :D

12. brucebruce

brucebruce

May 26, 2008
    GREAT, now I have GAS... these things sound awesome...

13. ampegfuzz

ampegfuzz Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2007
    Davenport, IA
    Bump for having the info I needed

14. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    As far as I know there isn't a huge difference between RB booster and RC booster guitar. The differences are on the frequency of the treble control and the gain. Both of them use a baxandall eq.

15. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    True. I contacted Xotic a while ago about this. They confirmed that the only differences were a lower Treble eq center and more headroom in the Bass RC.

16. tom_ric

tom_ric

Aug 14, 2009
    Israel
    I played the white version in a local store today and I actually really loved the mild overdrive I got when I maxed the gain. There were no low end lost, and i could even boost it. The black version wasn't in stock, and when it comes to pedals I don"t really have much ability to defer gratification. So my question is - Should I wait few month for the black version? Does it have the same mild overdrive abillity? Does the extra hearoom make the black version less overdrive and more clean boost? I"m more intrested in the mild drive side of those pedals, so which one should I choose?

thanks
    tom

17. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    If you want clipping, go with the white pedal. I can't make my black RC clip (although it can easily make devices downstream clip!). Keep that in mind as well- is it the boost pedal itself that you want adding distortion, or are you wanting to distort something later in the signal chain (amp, preamp, etc.)?

18. tom_ric

tom_ric

Aug 14, 2009
    Israel
    thanks, you are fast! ;)
    It is the boost pedal itself. I have no need for volume boost, I want to use it as an overdrive pedal.

19. scotch

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Gotcha. Consider the BB as well,... It gets very distorted at higher gain settings, but the low gain sounds nice too! Very similar to the RC, just more crunch on tap...

20. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    The BB is more nasal sounding, has a thinner low end (that can't be eq'ed back) and A LOT LESS dynamic!!!! I prefer two cranked RC in a row, to a single BB