1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Xotic RC, EMS Tri-logic or Submarine?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ausf, May 8, 2010.

1. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Anyone have experience with them in comparison? Or other suggestions?

Looking for some clean, tone shaping boost for a Ray.

2. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    Clean tone shaping boost? That's what an RC is. the others are preamps if I understand properly, though the Submarine's supposed to be a super clean pre.

What about the Empress ParaEQ?

3. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Submarine has some boost available, actually, though not tons of it.

4. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Thanks guys, is the Empress geared towards bass?

5. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It's full-range and parametric. One thing to wonder about though: the Ray already has tone shaping and boost built in. So what's missing? What exactly are you trying to achieve, that the Ray is not already delivering?

6. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I like my tone, just want some extra smash, but not distorted. I discussed this here a while back and a quite a few recommended the Submarine. Unfortunately, I'm finding it very difficult to get one (a completely different issue), so I'm exploring other boxes of similar design.

7. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    "Smash"? Could you specify-- more like compression, or overdrive, or "thickness/texture" of tone?

8. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    What are you playing through amp-wise?

I can get a phatter tone out of my StingRay with my Submarine, with the Compressore I used to have, with my JHS Lime Slice, with my GEB-7 or with my former VT pedal. All a different kind of "phat".

But if you're playing through a 1x10 combo, no pedal is going to give you the desired results.

9. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Very good point!

10. newbold

newbold

Sep 21, 2008
    Toronto
    I get a lot of 'phat' out of my 110 combo...but I understand that I'm dealing with not a whale but a porpoise worth of blubber...both will light my fire.

11. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    But my combo has a horn too...;) Nice call though.

I'm most concerned with adding some texture and fattening the tone a bit. I'm going to be working with a really good guitarist soon with a major Pro Tools set up and I want a solid handle going in, a nice thick, but clean sound. Sound modeled on mid RHCP, Fishbone, etc.

I'm 45 and this is basically my hobby at this point. After years of playing out as a kid, where it was Rics and huge Peavey systems, I'm settled down and back into playing. I've been working hard for the last 2 years on getting my chops where I want 'em, really concentrating on things I never did before, thumb work, palm muting, etc.

I'm not going to be touring, just having fun, but also pride in what I'm doing, otherwise I wouldn't bother. I'm past the days of chicks and benders, I'm all grown up like. ;)

I'm not a gear hound or interested in a lot of effects or anything overly intricate, just a want to stir the soup a bit more. Maybe it's a simple matter of adding a GEB-7.

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    Didn't answer the question regarding what you're playing through.

If going direct into Pro Tools there should be tons of ability in there to tweak your tone.

My opinion: get way more specific about what you're looking for and intend to accomplish before buying things. Otherwise you're just going to set off the sell/trade/repurchase routine many get caught up in searching for a tone that they can't explain.

13. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    Dude, it's talkbass. A lot of us are hobbyists, the pros are out playing.

What are you playing through? That will guide some suggestions.

14. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    I didn't mean to come off defensive, I meant to explain that I'm concentrating on technique and tone in a way I never did previously.

Thought I mentioned amp specifics, but I guess I moved on after the joke about the horn and never revisited it.

Fender Bassman 100. Like I said, you nailed it...1 x 10 ;) I'll eventually look into a rig, but for now, it serves well amping my upright and using it for practicing with speaker or headphones. It has nice control in a small unit. Also good for my 8 and 10 year old sons to jam through. Like I said, a rig is in the future, for them and me.

15. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Mm, yeah, with no disrespect at all for the value of a decent little practice amp--you'd be amazed how much your tone "magically" improves when using a listening system with more balls and more fidelity. This can mean a bigger amp rig, or a more high-fidelity, high-power small rig, or even a premium-quality preamp into professional headphones.

In fact, the solution may be a bit "reverse" from what you are considering so far, because adding any sort of pedal/effect/EQ to your practice amp will probably only muddy up your sound, make it worse. There may be exceptions, but I'm speaking generally here.

It's very common for a person with a practice amp to think "well, I only have like $50 or $100, so I can't afford a big amp rig... but surely there must be some pedal I can buy that will give me awesome tone." It almost never really works out that way though.

Save your pedal money until it has grown into more of a few hundred dollars you can put into a bigger/better rig or recording preamp.

16. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    What kind of pre-amp should I consider?

I have Sennheiser 280s, would they be okay?

That might be the route I'd take. My sons are a bit young to handle a GK 410 and headphones/recording is more fitting to my current situation. I can always borrow a rig playing out, but would use a headphone set up almost daily.

17. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    There are literally more than a hundred good-to-great preamp choices out there, at all price points. Deciding factors for you:
    --budget
    --built-in headphone jack, or needing an external mixer or headphone preamp
    --is versatility or simplicity more important to you
    --are there specific tones you want to get (certain amps, recordings, eras)

18. ausf

ausf

Jun 24, 2008
    New York
    Alright, I looked around a bit online and now my heads really swimming. So many options, I have no idea where to start.

I like to buy good stuff that will last, but I don't want to spend what a head would cost on this.

Definitely headphone compatible and able to plug into Pro Tools now and a rig later. Simple EQ and I don't need any serious amp modeling (no tube, etc). Looking for clean, bright, active, undistorted punch.

I really appreciate the help by the way.

19. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Check out the Yamaha PB-1 and the Ashly BP-41. Both are old and discontinued, but can be found used fairly easily and inexpensively. Both have great punchy tone, simple EQ, and a built-in headphone preamp. Another great option is the Phil Jones Bass Buddy, and those are available new.

Another option would be to go ahead with a tone-shaping preamp pedal like the Submarine, and then get an uncolored headphone amp like the Cafe Walter.