1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

xotic x blender or Boss LS-2?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassthunder100, Apr 23, 2010.

1. I'm slowly building up my board and am going to need to clean blend some pedals together. Mainly i want 2 parts, one for dirt and one for synth, envelope filter etc.

I'm unsure if i should get an LS-2 or X-Blender

I know the x blender is true bypass

but does it really matter if the ls-2 isn't?
    anyone that uses it does it upset your tone?

thanks
    Mike

2. I don't know what the Xotic is like, but from my experience with my LS-2 it seems to fairly minimally affect things. In fact, some people may like the fact that it has a buffer in there so that it may actually cause an improvement in your signal(?), this without considering the fact that the two 'mixers' can actually do +db as well as -db.

In other words, I love my LS-2! A secret weapon, if I ever came across one.

3. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    I own an LS-2 and I've checked out the X-Blender from a guitarist.
    I originally couldn't decide between the two, but then I simply decided that I didn't want to spend that much money on a blender. The LS-2 has other functions and is considerably less expensive so that's what I went for.

On the other hand - if I really had wanted the best blender, I think the Xotic would have been my choice. Some of the features (such as the EQ or switching between series and parallel) make a lot of sense.

About tone: I would never say that there's no difference in tone between BOSS and "high-end" pedals. But in my experience it's not that important - especially not in a live setting. Also, if it helps: there are a lot of professionals using BOSS or similar with great results. :)

4. fasto

fasto

Mar 4, 2007
    Amsterdam, NL
    i just got the Boss LS-2 and i´m very impressed. it really improves the sound by mixing in a clean signal. i consider it now as my most important "effect" pedal. i also wanted to get the Xotic Blender, but i prefered the lower cost solution and shot myself a used LS-2 via eBay for less than 45 bucks. if you check many pictures of different effect-boards you will find that white LS-2 pedal a lot.

5. jnewton

jnewton

Jun 9, 2008
    Tour
    Endorsing Artist: Dimarzio, D'Addario, Fuzzrocious
    Not to add more to the confusion, but I'd recommend the Barge VB-jr. I like mine.

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.

Well with all due respect the LS-2 has had a big headstart over the Xotic X-Blender pedal.

The LS-2 was first introduced in 1991.

7. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    The Xotic is the superior Blend pedal in terms of features, in my opinion. But, the Boss gives you the same primary function for less $$$.

The main advantages of the Xotic, again- imo, is the ability to change the blend amount in real time w/ your foot (big ole' black knob) and the great sounding 2 band eq (boost and cut bass & treble!).

8. Radial makes a blending loop called the big shot and the big shot mix..very simple and not too expensive.. not much talk about them here,seems the LS2, the exotic and barge are the popular choices...

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Like Jauqo said, I think the LS-2 is more popular for availability and cost reasons. It's a good pedal, don't get me wrong! But, like most gear on TB, the cheaper items are going to be more ubiquitous.

10. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    I was using an LS-2 for awhile and one day I tried my board without it, my sound suddenly got louder and brighter. By-by LS-2 and blending until I can afford an Xotic. Using it as a blend sounds fine, but it's bypass is so 1991. Meanwhile, my 3 main fuzzes have built in blends and the Xotic BB preamp and Devi Kareoke Party overdrives don't need one!

11. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Supporting Member

YOu will notice the same phenomenon with any pedal.

12. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
  13. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    ...and for the sake of adding something else to the equation: S&M

14. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Fixed. A well-designed buffer will make your sound louder and brighter.

15. testing1two

testing1two Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    The real question is whether or not the LS-2 has a well designed buffer. My experience with Boss pedals says no.

16. BassBrass

BassBrass

Jul 6, 2009
    Boston MA
    Nope, no other pedal I use has that degree of tone suck. Maybe all of them together approach it, (all the rest are newish, and non-buffered) but without the LS-2 the difference was blatant.

17. the ls-2 is awesome i use it to blend clean tone with a vintage Marshall guv'nor distortion pedal and it sounds sick. i also use it with a dodfx25b so it sounds more funky. it also works great with an ocatver. i think the xotic one is probably better but my budget was to low to afford it. ive never played it but people recommended it to me. if u want to pay <$80 go for the ls-2. i got mine for $78 w/ free shipping on eBay like a month and half ago

18. Hipnotic2005

Hipnotic2005

Oct 18, 2009
    Argentina
    if you have the $ go for the X-Blender..

19. I'd love to see a comparison between this and the LS-2.

And for the OP: the X-Blender is a better blender, but the LS-2 can do other things and is much cheaper.

You could also consider the various Barge Concepts models, assuming that they're still being produced.

Matt.

20. Silent Fly

Silent Fly Supporting Member Commercial User

May 8, 2006
    London - UK
    Owner/designer [sfx]
    I am the last person that can write an unbiased comparison but the main difference between the two is that the LS-2 is monster in flexibility and the S&M is much more focused on a subset of functions.

The “mode” knob of the LS-2 allows the configuration of the LS-2 in a vast array of settings. Unfortunately, this requires a pretty substantial set of components on the signal path that reconfigure the pedal every time the mode knob changes position. In some configurations, the signal goes in more components for the function management that for processing. In my opinion, this combined to the buffered bypass has an effect on the tone.

Apart from the true-bypass, the S&M is much more focused. Everything in the pedal is dedicated to signal processing. Moreover, the components are better quality.

As I said, I am the last person that can write an unbiased comparison but I tested both and IMO by basses sounded more full and dynamic in the S&M.