Xotic XJ-1T vs Fender Elite Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Julian Delphiki, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Julian Delphiki

Julian Delphiki

Jan 24, 2019
    Kentucky
    I'm looking to add a second j-style bass to my collection, and I am trying to decide between pursuing a used 2018 Fender Elite Jazz Bass (sunburst, rosewood board, all original) in my area or an Xotic XJ-1T 4 (I know there are some in the classifieds here).

I currently have a 2002 Lakland Skyline JO (Lake Placid Blue, maple board, original Fralin pickups) that I love, so I am looking for something to complement that bass—similar but without a ton of overlap. Can anyone give me some opinions on why you'd choose the Fender over the Xotic or vice versa? I know the best thing to do is play them, which I may get the chance to do with the Fender, but likely not with the Xotic. Even with the Fender, though, it's going to be a 3-hour drive just to get to it.

2. ppal

ppal

Sep 1, 2006
    Sacramento, CA
    I have the Xotic, excellent bass overall with a killer pre, and an adjustable bridge. I get compliments about looks and tone all the time

s_wood and Julian Delphiki like this.
  3. I've never owned an Xotic (only lusted after them), but I have owned Fender and Lakland Skyline, and I'd be willing to bet you'd get less overlap with the Xotic.

Julian Delphiki likes this.
  4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021