Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

XP : artificial intelligence or Big Brother ?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by JayAmel, Dec 14, 2002.

1. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    Hi,

On Friday, my wife gave me my Christmas present (yes, in advance) : a notebook PC by Samsung.

I setup Windows XP that was packaged with it, and at the end of the install, XP "chose" a default icon for my profile : a bass guitar !

I was "hit" by this, because I didn't enter any information that would let XP "guess" that I am a musician (all music-related info was entered AFTER that). Is it just a coincidence ?

2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    :D :D :D

I installed it about a year back and kinda looked over my shoulders

I think it's the first one alphabeticly

3. iplaybass

iplaybass Guest

Feb 13, 2000
    Germantown, TN
    Sorry jay... its my icon also. Total coincidence, just happens to be the first one that comes up. There was a discussion a while back about what kind of bass it was, but it escapes me now. I'll try and remember.

4. It is still Big Brother though. Just carefully read the Microsoft Disclaimer about Windblows Media Player 9....:rolleyes:

5. I also got the bass by default, but it's different in every profile - it seems to be based on what name you give the user account as to what the default icon will be...

--jeff

6. I think feckn eejit is on to something,..because I also got the bass,but when we set up the PC, I was the second user(my wife was first;) ) I must say it really freaked me out:eek:

7. I got the rubber ducky...how they knew about my "thing" with rubber duckies boggles my mind.

8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I always use my Talkbass avatar.

9. I also got it, and there have been at least one thread about it before.

But I don't use the XP logon screen, I use the good old login (2k style) and I also have the taskbar 2k style.

10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No Playskool interface for you?

11. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

Ahh..but it doesn't have to look like a 5 year old's desktop :D

Advance warning - this pic is kinda large, but it's my current desktop....